Author Topic: Decent Inverters  (Read 6543 times)

PeterRabbit

• Static Master
  • Global Moderator
  • Extra Class
Decent Inverters
« on: February 18, 2012, 04:27:22 PM »
Does anyone have any thoughts about a using an inverter?  I have a whole house PTO generator that runs off my tractor but it can be very loud.  Once the SHTF, we want to keep a fairly low profile.  It's hard to do that, or to hear approaching vehicles, when you have a tractor turning 2500 RPM under load.  I would like to find a reliable inverter that will let me run my gear off several 12 VDC batteries which can, in turn, be recharged by an idling diesel motor.  My radios are all oldies(tube rigs).  Any suggestions would be appreciated as would alternate strategies.

scubadivingjoe

• Prepper
Re: Decent Inverters
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 04:51:09 PM »
First PeterRabit
You need to know how many Watts you need, then double that.  That would be your min Wattage requirement.  You only want to run at a MAX 50% of your power rating.  Also you want one that has fan cooling, because will an old Tube system you will need a lot.  Then you need to see how clean the AC power is (Pure sine wave output THD < 3%). 

Let us know how much power you need .
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 04:53:42 PM by scubadivingjoe »

scubadivingjoe

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 04:57:31 PM »
PeterRabit

So lets say you need 1000Wats, you would want one rated for 2000 Watts with a pure sine wave out put, here is one:
AIMS 2000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter 12 Volt - New compact and lightweight design. Model # PWRI200012S.  Its around $500

PeterRabbit

• Static Master
  • Global Moderator
  • Extra Class
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 07:56:45 AM »
Hi Joe.  And thanks for the response.  Yes, I was planning to at least double what I thought I needed to be on the safe side.  I was looking at a 5K unit. thinking that 2500 watts would be plenty.  So you think that AIMS is decent?  Thanks again for the response.

scubadivingjoe

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 10:21:56 AM »
From what i have read  they are good, but you will pay.  The biggest thing is you need to make sure that the put put is a Pure sine wave.  Also make sure that it has cooling fans an that will help get rid of heat. 

PeterRabbit

• Static Master
  • Global Moderator
  • Extra Class
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 10:59:22 AM »
Good point.  Thanks, Bro!