Author Topic: Links to buy gear  (Read 19794 times)

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
Links to buy gear
« on: February 03, 2012, 09:57:30 PM »
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 10:02:44 PM by idial1911 »
The more I learn, the less I know.

bigunn

Re: Links to buy gear
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »
I was just on hamradio.com and theres a video off ham shacks , Holy smokes What did I get myself into .

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 10:23:50 PM »
Sucker!!!!  ;) now we have you hooked.
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 10:25:45 PM »
Yea thats the kiss of death!! Once you start nerding out over the photos.

GDP

• Global Moderator
  • Extra Class
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 10:34:59 PM »
Yep, Radio Fever!  You have the first symptoms!   ;D
GDP

Hamsexy

• Shepherd's Apprentice
  • Global Moderator
  • Extra class
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 10:51:11 PM »
I was just on hamradio.com and theres a video off ham shacks , Holy smokes What did I get myself into .

I currently have 500+ pics of ham shacks and 250+ pics of morse code keys and 'stuff'.  I have two desktops set up where the background rotates through them and changes about every minute.

It started out with me studying what equipment each had and how he had it all set up.  But it went downhill from there and now I just collect them because I'm .... well... because I'm an addict!

Tex

• Good friends are hard to come by. Treat'em that way.
  • Need a horse?
    • Wyoming: where the men are men and the women are too
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 10:55:40 PM »

I have'nt been over their yet to see the video. What is a hamshack? Is it what it sounds like? A small cabin or building with all of your comms equipment set up in it? If so that is cool because I've already considered this.

This year I am going to be rebuilding a small bunkhouse that is still on the original homestead my wifes family established when they first moved to this part of the country. We went and checked it out recently and it is still in decent shape. I have to get it moved here to the ranch so I can start working on it. When I first saw it several months ago the first thing that went through my.mind was setting up a radio and reloading equipment inside.

Now I gotta go see the video.

Tex
You big'uns line up, and you little'uns bunch up. It's about to get western.

Hamsexy

• Shepherd's Apprentice
  • Global Moderator
  • Extra class
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 11:21:22 PM »
What is a hamshack? Is it what it sounds like? A small cabin or building with all of your comms equipment set up in it?

That would be ideal but for most of us it's just wherever we have our station set up.  Before I retired, I had a whole bedroom set up as a ham shack/computer room.  Now, I'm in a tiny cabin with a very minimal shack (tiny desk and two file cabinets together).

Tex

• Good friends are hard to come by. Treat'em that way.
  • Need a horse?
    • Wyoming: where the men are men and the women are too
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 11:59:49 PM »
Healing up from a broken back and having long cold winters, I have been trying to find something challenging and interesting to do inside. Now I'm mad at myself for not starting this sooner. The more I'm seeing, the more impatient I'm getting.

Not sure if I will set up in the bunkhouse when I get it done, but that is what I was thinking. I have a room in the house right off of the main bedroom that I've always called my "Man Room" that I may use. It isnt finished yet the way I want it so I may just start converting it into a ham shack.

The more I see and learn, the more $$$signs Going bye bye. So far I have dodged the bullet and have'nt been asked what all of this will cost.

Tex
You big'uns line up, and you little'uns bunch up. It's about to get western.

Hamsexy

• Shepherd's Apprentice
  • Global Moderator
  • Extra class
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 12:38:44 AM »
I have a room in the house right off of the main bedroom that I've always called my "Man Room" that I may use. It isnt finished yet the way I want it so I may just start converting it into a ham shack.

That sounds like a good place to start.  Things to consider are availability of power and routing of coax for antennas.  You'll also want to be able to isolate yourself from background noises like loud fans, barking dogs, etc. so you don't broadcast the noises.

I find it really handy to have my computer right there with the radio, but others prefer not to do that.

I'm a fan of the Icom 706 mk2g, but there are other good ones too.  The only advice I'd give is to go slow and research a LOT before you buy anything.  Then buy the best you can afford.  In the long run it's cheaper than bouncing from one rig to another trying to find just the 'right' one.

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 09:35:45 AM »
The 706 mkIIg is a great radio to start out with.

I agree with everything else hamsexy said, but to me having the computer nearby is a requirement as I hook my radio's up to the computer.

GDP

• Global Moderator
  • Extra Class
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 10:28:04 AM »
I also use a laptop with my rig for digital modes.  My philosophy is that, in most cases, you get what you pay for.  Buy the right rig first and save $$ in the long run.
GDP

Slick75

• New Site Member
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 11:29:10 AM »
Oh yeah, I can see this is going to land me in the dog house. Oh well, I guess a dog house makes as good a shack as any, gonna have to be a biggun though.

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 11:30:35 AM »
Oh yeah, I can see this is going to land me in the dog house. Oh well, I guess a dog house makes as good a shack as any, gonna have to be a biggun though.

If you got power int he dog house you are good.. Even if you don't we can design a solar/battery powered unit!!

Slick75

• New Site Member
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2012, 11:53:59 AM »
If you got power int he dog house you are good.. Even if you don't we can design a solar/battery powered unit!!
THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT!!  ;)