Author Topic: CHIRP  (Read 14403 times)

spacecase0

• my spiritual forum
Re: CHIRP
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2014, 11:34:31 PM »
the real question is if you can get it to read from your radio first,
you did tell it what kind of radio you have, right ?

by the way, the thing is not that hard to program from the radio itself,
it is just set up as a radio to use primarily from memories, it is just different logic than many ham radios,
but not bad logic or super hard to learn

Tevin

• Prepper
  • Rhymes with heaven.
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2014, 07:01:36 AM »
Has anyone used CHIRP software to program their HT? If so how was the experience and any tips you could throw my way... ?

I tried CHIRP and after several evenings of fooling around and swapping out data cables, I quit and set it up by hand. Maybe my older Mac does not like the software, I dunno.

Programming by hand is very tedious but most users will need to do it only one time. You can also clone one radio to another without a computer or CHIRP. It does not help that all the documentation for the software is user-generated and may or may not be accurate. You're taking a gamble on google.

If you use CHIRP, it's still a good idea to know how to program your rig manually because when the world implodes you may not have technology available to do it for you. Having a radio, or anything, controlled by a home computer is very handy, but it adds a layer of complexity that may come back and kick you in the balls when you can least afford it.

I really worry about some of these hams who consider themselves "prepared" but can't do the simplest thing without a laptop/ipad/smart phone or a 150 page manual. And likewise, the manufacturers are not doing anyone any favors by making their products ridiculously complex then dump it on internet user groups to sort out the problems and write the documentation.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 07:13:12 AM by Tevin »

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2014, 09:38:37 AM »
Toad

Where are you located?  Scuba on here has these radios I believe and I am sure would meet you to give you a hand.
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

TheToad

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2014, 03:12:22 PM »
It's gone. I was sitting around listening to a net last night and realized I wanted a bigger radio. I'm dropping the 440 and buying a 2M Kenwood TM-281A and will use it as a base. I already have an antenna so all I need is the transceiver and power supply. Fairly inexpensive. I just want something simple.   The Kenwood looks like a simple enough radio for a dumb dumb like me. Might even have a decent manual. Maybe sometime down the road I'll think about doing the HT experience but I doubt I'll buy Chinese again. This next radio I will program manually as I may not have internet forever.  I need the hands on experience. I was listening on the E.A.A.R.S. Mule mountain repeater last night and found it very interesting. I was hearing Hams from Bisbee out to West Tucson. I think I'm going to like this Ham hobby.  :-) Going to order my new radio on Thursday.

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2015, 10:36:06 AM »
Here is a new video I did programing the BaoFeng BF-F8HP with Chirp.
http://www.preparedham.com/how-to-program-your-ham-radio-using-chirp-software/
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

scubadivingjoe

• Prepper
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2015, 10:47:03 PM »
Toad

Where are you located?  Scuba on here has these radios I believe and I am sure would meet you to give you a hand.

I am out of school until the fall.  We can meet any time after 5:00 pm.