Author Topic: Antenna locations indoors  (Read 5477 times)

WolfSpring

• New Site Member
Antenna locations indoors
« on: March 04, 2012, 01:46:34 PM »
I need some education on antennas indoors.  I have strict HOA rules they left me a note about a Satellite dish on my roof that is not hooked to anything stating there rules in fact...  So I was thinking how effective would an antenna be if it were in my garage, I hear about them in attics all the time, and I know about "hidden" antennas.  I have several buddipole antennas and hate taking them down and putting them up every time I want to use the radio.  I understand how RF waves work and know that it would be much better outside, and my actual concern would be transmitting, which would not be over 100 Watts right now.  But any kinda primer on indoor antenna use would be a great help.

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
Re: Antenna locations indoors
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 01:50:10 PM »
got any trees?
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

austinrob

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 02:05:49 PM »
brown insulated 14ga wire is next to impossible to see in the trees.

WolfSpring

• New Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 02:31:06 PM »
I've got two about 8 ft trees.  Right now my buddipole is in the back yard on a tripod but not to high they can't really complain because it is not visable from the road, the problem is running the cable right now and adjusting it between bands.  I'm looking at getting some stuff from work that is very incospicious and setting it up under the gutters.

BTPost

• Old Fart Ham
  • Prepper
    • Bruce's Trading Post
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 03:11:41 PM »
brown insulated 14ga wire is next to impossible to see in the trees.
I use #12 Stranded  Wire to make all my Ham Dipoles, and  7/32 Phosphor/Bronze  Antenna Wire for my Commercial Dipoles....
Just Say'en.... YMMV....
Bruce in alaska AL7AQ

scubadivingjoe

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 03:53:51 PM »
Here is what I found out about roofs, if you have a tile roof like most people do, you will have a problem. From what I have been told the tile interferes with the signals.

Sky Pilot

• New Site Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 01:51:58 PM »
Magnet wire is your friend.
I am running a 40-meter NVIS horizontal delta loop.
Mine is red enamel coated; a quick wipe with a paint pen, a black paint dipped paint brush or a long spritz with a can of black spray paint and it won't look like a laser hanging out over your yard.  Invisible at six feet.
An acquaintance described his plan to take a roll of zip cord -- he got a sixty dollar spool a the hardware store -- zip it apart, then run it on top of his roof shingles to make a nice friendly NVIS loop.  So far he's just talked about it; no idea how well it would or would not work.
Stringing anything under my eaves would be futile.  I have aluminum gutters and soffitts.  Mine would either couple or reflect down into the yard.
There are those hardy souls who use their gutters or down spouts for antennas.  I've never tried it though with my AH-4 tuner it might work.  The AH-4 will tune if using a Ford Bronco or a light bulb as the antenna.  (Yes, it's been done, and no, not by me!)
Otherwise the previously mentioned idea of brown zip cord wire in the trees might be a viable alternative.  Works very well, I understand!
Additional free advice available upon request