Author Topic: antenna ?  (Read 4186 times)

asatrur

• KD0***
antenna ?
« on: June 02, 2012, 02:27:49 PM »
I picked up a double bazooka 20 meter dipole measuring 34', which is basically 2 pieces of wire with a coax t in the middle and have a question on mounting it. I have an eave that is around 15-20 feet off the deck and is maybe 12 inches wide and my idea is to mount it the length of the eave, but as I have an aluminum gutter, I am worried how that might impact my design? Is this going to work, how far should I be from the gutter?
Thanks,
Asa
Extra Class Ham Radio license
One is none and two is one!

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
Re: antenna ?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 05:24:34 PM »
Does the gutter run the length of the eve making the antenna near it the whole length?  If so i may be a problem. 

Are you running power?  If not and you have a tuner, try to resonate the gutter  8)
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

kf4lne

• Communications Bunker
  • New Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 01:07:09 AM »
I agree with using the gutter for an antenna. I am using my gutter for a counterpoise for a random wire and the other gutter for a SWL antenna. Both seem to work great. Another option would be to install the antenna along the underside of the roof inside the attic, as far away from the gutter as you can get. The main thing is that the gutter is probably going to interfere with your radiation pattern no matter where you install the antenna. Having the antenna installed alongside of the gutter will cause RF to couple into the gutter. THis may be a good thing, because the gutter may enhance your antenna, or it could be a bad thing and all of your RF could simply go towards keeping the squirrels warm in Winter.
Dan
KF4LNE/WQIM928

The contents of my posts are for entertainment and educational purposes only. If you fail to survive doing something you read in this post, to bad. Thats just more preps for me :p

Sky Pilot

• New Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 01:35:46 PM »
I have both aluminum gutter and aluminum soffitt.  Had given thought to running wire around the periphery of the shingles, above the aluminum, theorizing they would act as reflectors and give me better NVIS performance.  Lack of a ladder and no desire to get sun burned combine to keep that idea in the realm of thought and not reality, especially when I considered I might have to manufacture stand-offs (stand-ups?) to get the wire high enough to prevent coupling ... then the whole house-is-full-of-RF thing ... so probably this theory is going to gather dust somewhere between my ears.
Additional free advice available upon request