Author Topic: Rebuilding My local AoO Comms......  (Read 6362 times)

BTPost

• Old Fart Ham
  • Prepper
    • Bruce's Trading Post
Rebuilding My local AoO Comms......
« on: June 07, 2013, 01:43:52 AM »
I have been rebuilding my local AoO (Area of Operations) Comms capability, here for the last few months. First was to replace the old ALINCO Dual Bander, with a used Kenwood TM-D710a Vhf/Uhf APRS/Packet/SkyCommand II Radio. Getting this integrated with my New Kenwood TS-590 for SkyCommand II, is still ongoing, but I have the GPS Input and Internal TNC talking to my local Network, and iMac, running WinXP in a Virtual Machine. Then I found a used Kenwood TH-72a Dual Band Vhf/Uhf/GPS Handheld on QRZ.com, It is basically the TM-D710a, in a Handheld Unit. It does just about everything that the mobile does, in a handheld package. both Have 1000 Memories and when CAP/MARS'd Opened, have the same Frequency Coverage. Very useful, out here where I live.... the final item, just happen to come up cheap on QRZ.com. A used Kenwood TM-D700a Dual Band Vhf/Uhf APRS/Packet/SkyCommand II Radio. This is the earlier version of the TM-D710a and basically does everything that the later Unit does, but only has 200 Memories.The GPS Input was not functional, and there were a few MODs that need to get done, before it was ready to install in my Rhino 660. After working over the radio, and doing the MODs, I started to look at the GPS Input issue. This used the same Input as the 710, but it wasn't seeing the incoming Data Stream. After a few hours of starring at the circuits in the Service Manual, and tracing out connections, on the SMD type Main Board, under a BIG Magnifier, I determined that the GPS Data Ground was Open to Radio Ground, and with no Data Ground Reference, the internal TNC couldn't see the Data Stream. Apparently the Previous Owner had put some voltage on the GPS Data Ground, and burnt the choke, and parallel resistor, Open. In doing a few other MODs, I added a Switched 13.4VdcLine to Pin 1 on the DB-9M Data Port, as well as a solid Radio Ground to Pin 6 to Power the external GPS from the Radio. So once I found the open GPS Data Ground, I added a short 28Ga. Jumper from the GPS Port Data Ground Pin, to Pin 5 on the DB-9M DataPort. Then I got to thinking, if I am Powering the GPS from this Port, I could also put in a couple more 28Ga. Jumpers and bring the GPS Data Stream In thru Pin 4, and the Data Stream Out on Pin 9.  Now I can just use a Single Plug to power and connect the GPS to the Radio. Once everything was done, I reassembled the radio, and connected everything up. Then hit the Power Switch, and went to the Position Screen on the Internal TNC, and Wahoo, there was the GPS Data and a blinking GPS Indicator on the radio LCD. Way cool... Blinking GPS means it is receiving the Data Stream correctly. Nice. Now, ready to install the System in the Rhino, when it finally stops raining for a day or two.  The try out the APRS functions, and finally the SkyCommandII system for controlling, and working the TS-590 from the Rhino, or the HandHeld..... Could be useful, when the Black Helicopters, come looking for the clandestine HF Radio, operating from Bush alaska.....
Bruce in alaska AL7AQ

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
Re: Rebuilding My local AoO Comms......
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 09:41:09 AM »
BT

Sunds like you had your hands full.  I did not know about the SkyCommand II system until this post. Sounds interesting.
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

BTPost

• Old Fart Ham
  • Prepper
    • Bruce's Trading Post
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 02:35:56 PM »
I am becoming intrigued by the APRS System, that is built-in on these DualBand Vhf/Uhf Radios. It has the capability to send Messages, codes, or any ASCII Comms, between Units, as well as position, and other information. All automatically, or preprogrammed. I am looking at Vhf for Voice Comms, and UHF for APRS Data Comms. Incorporating MonkeyNet Technology in the Automatic Messaging, would make it a very nice SECURE System, especially with the ability to change the UHF Frequency of the next APRS Transmission, remotely, from the Transmitting end, with a QSY Message. Setup properly, it could be a very slow, Spread Spectrum Messaging System, where each transmission, jumps to a new preprogrammed, and communicated Frequency, sent as part of the last message. Unless one had capability to read, and decode the message, in real time, they wouldn't be able to follow the Frequency Jumps, and get the whole string of messages. It presents a whole new capability, for a Group of Prep'er Hams, that want to have a Group Network, distributed throughout their local AoO. The more I read and implement, the more I like the capability..... I just concluded a deal for a second TH-72a, for Momma,  to replace her wide band Business Vhf radio, that she have been using for three years. When CAP/MARS opened, this will become a complete VHF/UHF Capable System. A duplicate of mine. These will do NarrowFM, and can receive all the MURS, FRS/GMRS Frequencies, as well as many others in the VHF and UHF Spectrum.  Just Say'en.....
Bruce in alaska AL7AQ

spacecase0

• my spiritual forum
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 01:05:30 AM »
BTPost,
I like the way you think,
my mind is so focused at farming lately that all the digital modes i use to play with are kind of hurting my mind,
apparently i can only focus at about 3 things as once