Author Topic: Passed my General and Extra today  (Read 7460 times)

bryanthegoon

• Extra Class and VE
Passed my General and Extra today
« on: May 05, 2012, 03:04:56 PM »
Hi everyone, new guy here with my first post.  I had gotten my NoCode Tech like 21 years ago (when I was 10) and had passed the 5 wpm to give me a Tech Plus when  I was 12.  Hadn't really done anything on the air in like the past 15 years thou. 

A ham related post a couple weeks ago by AD on a (completely unrelated to ham) different forum had gotten me going with wanting to get into it again (especially now that there wasn't a code requirement to move ahead, I had only passed the 5 wpm by the skin of my teeth).  So last weekend I started studying for my General on http://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com , that came back to me so quickly I decided to study for my extra as well and kill 2 birds with one stone.  Well after a week on that site I am ranked #12. 

Took the tests this morning and passed both with flying colors.  Sorry for the long post, figured since this was my first post would do a little introduction as well.  Now to get a radio or two, at the moment I only have a Yaesu FT-208R 2M HT (I think the thing was made in 1983), and hopefully get on the air again.

Anyway enough with tooting my own horn for now

-Bryan

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
Re: Passed my General and Extra today
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 03:26:17 PM »
My turn to toot for ya, congrats.  I am glad i got you interested again.  Now time for a 2x1 or a 1x2 if you can find one and get lucky. 
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

Firemedic4b

• New Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 03:56:47 PM »
Congrats on your accomplishment. 

bryanthegoon

• Extra Class and VE
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 04:01:20 PM »
Thanks again AD for getting me back on the path, I should have gotten back into it a long time ago, but I was quite limited with just the Tech, and I guess I didn't realize that they had dropped the code requirement... there was no way I could pull off 13 wpm which used to be the requirement for general.

Yea I asked them about requesting a new call "systematically" .... they said I would get a 2x2 (AE7__) Decided to keep my 1x3 for now and be on the lookout to nab a 1x2 or 2x1.

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 04:32:26 PM »
Here are some resources for getting the vanity call.

http://www.vanityhq.com/ scroll down until you see the date controled call signs. Clixk in the 1x2 or ...... Boxes and the search the page for one ypu like.   If they are green they should be available now. Red ahd they will be available at the date posted plus 1.

Then go here http://www.w5yi.org/page.php?id=269

Call them and ask is they have a client for the one(s) you are looking at, if not you pay ~$40 and have them file for you.  You can do it yourself, but you can also screw it up too and not get the one you want by say filing a day early. 

I call them on a one i wanted and they said he had a client for that one and would not take a second. I call back later with a second one and they said they had no clients for that one, but then stated that even though it was list as being available in a few months on the above site, she said according to what she had seen, its availalbe now and to just apply for it.  So i did.  I will find out in a few weeks(18 days total from when i  applied.   We shall see   
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

bryanthegoon

• Extra Class and VE
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 04:47:24 PM »
Awesome, I have to wait till the FCC DB updates with the new license info before I can apply for anything, but I have started looking at what will come available soon.  The w5yi thing is a nice resource as well, that is not much extra to make sure it is filed correctly.  Thank you again.

scubadivingjoe

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 05:11:41 PM »
Welcome to the club

winsatara

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 05:42:31 PM »
Outstanding job!!

W.Lynn

• CDT
  • Trouble-making grandma
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 05:49:53 PM »
I sure hope no one gets to thinking this is a must-be-shooting-for-Extra club we've got going.  As far as I know, we're still a study/encourage/help/give links/etc group.

Some of us just got insanely focused on Extra for a little while.

BillinNM

• Administrator
  • Too Many Hobbies, not enough time or money!
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 09:15:13 PM »
Bryan,
You and I sound like we're in similar boats.  I got my Tech back in 1989, upgraded to General (with 13 wpm code) in either 1991 or 92, and then promptly got married, started a business, etc etc etc, and packed the gear away.  Have only recently started to play with the rigs again, and just got my Extra a week ago.  So, welcome to the group, the board, and your HF privileges.
Bill
General class license since 1992, been inactive for about 10 years, just getting back into it, thanks to Going Home.   Edit...AE on 4/29/2012

bryanthegoon

• Extra Class and VE
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 11:45:51 PM »
Bryan,
You and I sound like we're in similar boats.  I got my Tech back in 1989, upgraded to General (with 13 wpm code) in either 1991 or 92, and then promptly got married, started a business, etc etc etc, and packed the gear away.  Have only recently started to play with the rigs again, and just got my Extra a week ago.  So, welcome to the group, the board, and your HF privileges.
Bill

Bill,
Yep, sounds very familiar, think I got my no-code tech in 90 or 91, and passed my 5 wpm by the skin of my teeth in 92-93, never could make the 13 wpm cw for the general thou.  Got married, divorced, married, and a few kids, and now it seems like the right time to come back into it.  I do alot of driving over some very desolate areas (live in Phoenix and have family in SW Colorado that we see often) hoping all that time that I could be on the mic will give me incentive to keep at it this time.

Bryan

bryanthegoon

• Extra Class and VE
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 12:53:48 PM »
Well my Extra is now reflected on the FCC ULS, now to start trying for a 1x2 or 2x1.