Author Topic: DVAP and DStar Commander  (Read 4631 times)

DragoSapien

• Global Moderator
DVAP and DStar Commander
« on: May 28, 2017, 09:35:04 PM »
One of my Desert Rat Preppers put this together to help those that are thinking about getting one.

http://www.pecoscountyarc.com/d-star.html

How to Setup a Raspberry Pi / DVAP 2M 70CM

Items Needed
Raspberry Pi 2 or 3
DVAP 2M or 70CM
Class 10 Micro SD card with a reader (8GB is plenty)
DSTAR-Commander-image https://storage.googleapis.com/dstar/DStarCommander_V2.01_dvap.zip
Win32DiskImager https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/files/latest/download

Steps
Download DSTAR Commander from the link above. Save it to your computer and remember where you save it. You may need extract it from .zip file.
Download Win32DiskImager from the link above and install it.
Insert SDcard and identify drive letter.
Open Win32DiskImager
Under “device” click the dropdown and select the SDcard drive letter.
Click the blue folder and locate the DSTAR Commander .img file that you downloaded in step 1.
Click Write… Wait for the image to write.
When the progress bar reaches 100% you will get a Write Successful window… Click OK.
The DSTAR Commander image is now written to the SDcard. Do not take it out of the computer or reader.
You are done with Win32DiskImager and can click exit or close the window.
Open the Folder where DSTAR Commander was downloaded and/or extracted and locate and double click to open DStarConfig.
All you have to do now is answer the questions and this will setup and personalize your DSTAR Commander for your personal use with your DVAP.
Enter the drive letter of your SDcard and press enter.
Enter your callsign in capital letters and press enter.
Enter your DVAP module c=VHF b=UHF and press enter.
Enter the DVAP module you have and press enter
Enter the frequency you would like to use with your DVAP and press enter.
Enter “y” if you want notifications or “n” if you don’t.
Enter “y” if you want text messages or “n” if you don’t.
Enter the email address you want notifications sent too and press enter.
Enter the email address of the text as it shows you to receive text messages and press enter.
Enter a gmail address you want to send notifications from. It HAS to be a gmail address and press enter.
Enter the password to the gmail account that is sending the notifications and press enter.
Enter Y to setup wifi and press enter.
Enter 1 and press enter.
Enter the wifi name you will be using. This is case sensitive and press enter.
Enter the wifi you will be using, password and press enter.
Enter RSN and press enter.
Enter CCMP and press enter.
Press N and press enter. You can setup a 2nd wifi at a later date from the GUI.
Review all the information to verify it is correct and press y and press enter.
You should get “configuration successfully written to SDcard”
Eject the card from your computer and inset it into the Pi.
Insert the DVAP USB into the Pi
Power up the Pi and turn on your radio to the frequency you set to use. You should get an audio message “Not Linked” when the Pi is completely booted and ready for use.

How to program ID-31/ID-51 for use with DVAP

There are multiple ways you can use your radio with DStar. You can use memory mode which can be programmed with RT Systems which is the easiest and also Chirp which now supports the ID-51. This guide will walk you through how to manually setup your radio with use of the DR mode if a few easy steps. I will be referring to a few names which are probably not what you are familiar with but I will try to be as clear as I can. The best way to become familiar with your radio is to use it. A lot of people I have talked to have used RT Systems in the past and have found this to be the easiest way and recommend that investment.

If you have your DVAP programmed, you are ready for this next step and once this is completed, you will be on the air and will be able to make contacts.

Steps

1. Power on your radio
2. Press the MENU button
3. Using either the top knob or RX>CS (I will refer to this as the UP Button) and DR (I will refer to this as the Down Button). Go to DV Memory and press the BLUE BUTTON (this I identify as the OK or Enter button)
4. Go down and highlight Repeater List and press the blue button.
5. Using the UP and Down or top Knob, find a Group that has not been named. Default is usually around 22 or 23 and press the QUICK/SPCH button.
6. Make sure Edit Name is highlighted and press the blue button.
7. This is where you will enter a name for the Group. I have named mine DVAP. You can name yours anything you like. Use the UP/Down or top knob to select letters and CD (I will refer to this as left) or CS (I will refer to this as right) to select numbers and special characters, press QUICK and use the up and down to select the one you want and press the blue button.
8. Once you have the name you want press the blue button twice and it should take you back to the REPEATER GROUP screen.
9. Highlight the DVAP group you created and press the blue button.
10. You are now in the RPT LIST GRP that you created and should see – BLANK --. Press the Quick button.
11. Press the blue button to select Add.
12. Change TYPE to DV Simplex and press down.
13. Press the blue button and enter DVAP the same way you entered the name of the group and press the blue button.
14. Leave the SUB NAME blank and press down.
15. Press the blue button and enter your call sign without any spaces at the end and press the blue button.
16. You should now see you call sign with a G at the end in the GW CALL SIGN.
17. Press down until you get to USE(FROM) and press the blue button and highlight yes and press the blue button.
18. press down to highlight FREQUENCY and press the blue button.
19. Using the top knob or up and down and left and right, enter the frequency that you programmed your Raspberry Pi and DVAP to use.
20. Press the blue button.
21. Press down to highlight OFFSET FREQ and press the blue button.
22. Use the left and right and up and down buttons to enter 0.000.00 and press the blue button. The DVAP runs simplex so we do not want the radio transmitting on a different frequency.
23. Press the down button to go down too <<Add Write>> and press the blue button.
24. Press up to highlight YES and press the blue button
  You should now see your DVAP in the list. CONGRADULATIONS, you have successfully programmed your radio and it is now ready for use in DR mode.