Author Topic: FT857D Antenna  (Read 21192 times)

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
Re: FT857D Antenna
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2013, 09:43:54 AM »
Thanks Temp.

What is the exact parts list and cost for your setup? Where did you get all of the parts?

I have a Avalanche that I am looking at putting a HF and UHF/VHF antennas on for use with my 857D.  I am looking at getting the NVIS capabilities set up on this for when I am out of repeater coverage.

I am really close to buying on of these  http://www.powerwerx.com/two-way-radios/mobile-radios/

Powerwerx DB-750X Dual Band VHF/UHF 750 Channel Commercial Mobile Radio
Dual band VHF/UHF, 750 channel commercial transceiver with 10 memory banks. Freq. range: 136-174, 400-490 MHz. 50W VHF, 40W UHF power output, Single Receive or True Dual Receive (V+V, U+U, V+U), Optional Remote Head Mounting Kit. Part 90 certified. More Description

For $300 and you get access to FRS/GMRS/ and other bands.   I know there restrictions on transmitting say GMRS unless you have the paper, but i am looking at putting these in my Commander UTVs that I use for work.
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

unseenone

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2013, 02:42:38 PM »
Nice Radio AD....   I know unlocking, freebanding is frowned up in some circles. It makes sense from a preparedness standpoint post SHTF. You would just need to be careful not to accidentally transmit...  What are your views on the subject. The reason this question pops up is due to a post on SB I saw the other day.. The guy is promoting the use of his hacks, and also they've developed a set of frequencies for "preppers" that doesn't make sense at the end of the day...  but as you've mentioned before a group who is coordinated together would. Perhaps a new topic is in order on the subject, but it seems like at this point, there a lot of AA group members who are within range of each other..  http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=312005

Back on the Antenna questions...  any conclusions? For the right combination of antennas for the All Band radio?

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2013, 06:00:23 PM »
Is this for a base or mobile?  You wont get all bands out of one antenna.

Obviously UHF/VHF on one antenna for a base , my choice is a X50
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1054

For HF, do you have antenna restrictions in a HOA type of setting? Or can you put up a tower.

unseenone

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2013, 09:13:22 PM »
I'm looking to improve my mobile rig which is coming. Currently I've got an ATAS120a   I would run two antennas as needed. I'm asking for suggestions for each.

I am looking to put up some antennas at the house, and the HOA would have a bird if I put up a tower. It will have to be out of site, behind the house, on the roof, etc. We have a LOT of lighting when we get it, and it usually burns the place down it hits. The ground is essentially solid limestone, digging is not an option. They use jackhammers to put in fence posts around here. The soil we have is very dry. The area is kind of crappy. I'll send you a google map, you can look at the satellite and street views. I've also got pictures I took on the roof.

I spent 3 days messing around with the wire antenna I got from Chameleon, either I got a bad one, or my options are very limited. I ran it on the roof, various configurations, I tried the fence top, from a tree, etc. and couldn't get it to work.  i'm happy to Box it up and let you check it out..

So I'm gathering I will need 4 antennas, two for each rig.

Mobile Rig: FT857
Base Rig: FT897

Tempstar

• Extra, VE, SC Agency MARS, AUXCOMM, ARES/RACES
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2013, 10:20:07 PM »
Ad,
 I have the Hybrid,V1L, and MIL whip. If mobile I use the Hybrid and V1L only. The Hybrid also comes with a longwire that allows use without the V1L or MIL and does great on NVIS duty right from the vehicle. Also, you can screw just the upper section of the V1L into the Hybrid and work 2m/70cm.
www.chameleonantenna.com
Is it the best you can buy?No. For a portable multiband that gets a great bang for the buck, it can't be beat.

Unseenone,
I assume you're talking about the Emcomm II. With your soil conditions, a radial underneath is a must. My neighbor runs one and it hears the same as his Gap Titan II at the same 25' elevation, and only gets slightly worse signal reports. We live at the beach though with highly conductive soil and it helps a lot.

Also, every radio I own has been modded for extended transmit. I stay in the areas I'm licensed for, but I want the capability should I ever need it. The last 3 I bought I modded as soon as they came out of the box! (TM-V71A, IC-7000, TH-F6A)
"Preparedness is a lot more than just buying stuff"

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2013, 10:29:38 PM »
Temp thanks. can you run NVIS on the run?

UN

Do you have trees in the yard?  If so I have a HOA and run. 20 and 40 meter Par End Fedz http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamwire/4456.html with fantastic results for an antenna hidden in a pine tree. I have this box  http://www.kf7p.com/KF7P/EntrancePanels.html  on a block wall near the base pf the tree with lighting arrestors in it. 

These are great panels.  Drop in a 8ft ground rod and attach it via the flat copper strap from kf7p smeared with the copper conductive grease with sheet metal screws into the copper backing plate and your set. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 10:34:54 PM by AD »

unseenone

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2013, 10:27:23 AM »
As previously mentioned, the only way you can drop in an 8' grounded rod would be with a jackhammer or a drill. The Rod itself is cheap...    The rod would then sit in a 8' hole in rock.

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2013, 02:01:59 PM »
On the Chameleon, borrow a analyzer and test the antenna and feed line to see if it is a problem. 

ClovisMan

• Extra Class
  • New Site Member
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2013, 02:23:02 PM »
Wow, how conveinent. I recently got upgraded to General and have my 857D Ham shack up and running. I have a dual band J-Pole , but no HF antenna. I see people recommended mobile whips and such, but how about a base antenna for this rig. I have no restrictions whatsoever, but I also live on solid limestone with the jack-hammer ground rod issue.
Wouxun KG-UV6D HT Dual Band
Yaesu FT-857D all band transceiver
Yaesu FTM-400DR connected to a Comet 2x4SR

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2013, 02:45:00 PM »
Hey Clovis

Do you have a budget in mind? Or bands tou plan on using?

ClovisMan

• Extra Class
  • New Site Member
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2013, 02:52:18 PM »
Hey Clovis

Do you have a budget in mind? Or bands tou plan on using?
I figure I'll need something that can hit all or most of the bands. Mainly 10,17,20,40,80
I'm so new I really don't know. LOL
I got with my local Ham club. but all that want to do is ragchew on the club repeater.
As far as budget goes....the cheaper the better, LOL. I cannot afford an extravagant tower set-up at this point in my life.

Does this site host any HF nets specifically shtf related? You know...for practice sakes.
Wouxun KG-UV6D HT Dual Band
Yaesu FT-857D all band transceiver
Yaesu FTM-400DR connected to a Comet 2x4SR

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2013, 04:15:17 PM »
How much ground do you have?  You can do some pretty big band coverage with a long wire antenna (several hundred feet).

Or the is the G5RV. http://www.hamuniverse.com/g5rv.html
You can buy or make your own.

You will need a tuner though. I use this one.  Not the best, but works well and is $150.

No nets to speak of but several of us will try to make contacts set up via PM.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 04:17:17 PM by AD »

Tempstar

• Extra, VE, SC Agency MARS, AUXCOMM, ARES/RACES
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2013, 09:33:04 PM »
AD,
 I ran the Chameleon NVIS mobile once, with the base on the Reese hitch and the MIL tied over to the front bumper. Every time I keyed on 40 the gages would jump around.
 For grounding for RF, not for lightning, I use stainless 1/16" cable from Lowes, quarter wavelength long. For the Chameleon on the tripod I lay out one for 20,40, and 80 all connected to the base of the tripod. A friend uses the same stuff under his EMCOMM II the same length as the wire with good results. Sure kills a lot of the noise.
"Preparedness is a lot more than just buying stuff"

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2013, 09:35:28 PM »
Thanks Temp

unseenone

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2013, 07:53:15 PM »
So I have now settled on, and purchased what appears to be one of the best antennas out there. Now the bits and pieces are trickling in.

I'll need help and explanations along the way.  What I ended up with is a HiQ Military Antenna, purchased from Charlie over at http://www.hi-q-militaryantennas.com/mh-mobile.html

Pictured in the center is the MOV antenna. I ordered several options for it so I have a lot of configuration options, the ruggedized whip, the Military spring base, the tripod, DC Controller/Turns Counter,  EB-8 Caphat, Fold over, and a few other odds and ends.

My intention first, is to rig it up on the tripod, and deploy it as a base at home. I ordered per a friend of AD's the best Coax I could get, Times Microwave LMR400 for the base installation, and LMR240 for the Mobile Installation.

On the Mobile Rig, I will have two mounting options, depending on conditions, hitch mount, or roof rack mount (the roof rack mount will need to be fabricated).

The first project will be to get it set up and debugged on the tripod. I don't have all the pieces yet, but I started assembling things, to see what it will look like.

I am curious about doing something a little slicker with regard to counterpoise, and I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on how to optimize / measure counterpoise. I was thinking I would like to make a fancier counter poise similar to the ATAS120, which is a metal ring, with several radials attached.  Evidently, nobody that I have seen has done much with a tripod setup.