Author Topic: FT857D Antenna  (Read 21180 times)

unseenone

• Administrator
FT857D Antenna
« on: September 04, 2013, 11:28:36 AM »
I currently have an ATAS120A which I like because one antenna will do it all. The down side is it's not very good at anything. The fellow I'm buying the 857 from suggested a Tarheel II. What recommendation does anyone have for an antenna or antennas configuration for the mobile rig?

scubadivingjoe

• Prepper
Re: FT857D Antenna
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 02:43:53 PM »
I have read mixed reviews on them.  But for the most part they are a good antenna, just make sure you keep up with the seals on the antenna.

Rockntoy

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 02:45:17 PM »
With my 857 I'm running a Chameleon Antenna. It is a V2L whip with a CHA Hybrid Base. I have it mounted on my 95 Jeep wrangler and it works very well for me around this area. I have a unknown brand mag mount 2 meter for the other side. With this combo I can regularly talk with florida and east coast, tennesee ,alabama, new york. West coast if conditions are good and arizona most times in the evening. My 2 meter seems to do very well for the local line of sight and well with a repaeter.

http://chameleonantenna.com/Chameleon%20HYBRID/Chameleon%20HYBRID.html

XTRA Ham
Follower of AA

unseenone

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 03:00:38 PM »
I'm going to need a little more hand holding I think....  I did buy one of their antennas, but I was never able to get it working, even as well as the ATAS120a antenna for Base operation.   Details below, if it's something you would like to try. I even bought a tuner from them as well. I'm sure it's more an issue of not knowing what I'm doing vs issues with the antenna. As mentioned he's very responsive to e-mails, etc. I just could never get it to work worth a bean.

The CHA Zepp Antenna has been specially designed for apartments, condominiums, homeowners associations, deed restrictions and CCRs (Covenants, Conditions & Restrictions), ARES, RACES, MARS, EMCOMM, NVIS, First Responders, Emergency Preparedness and attic antenna installation. It’s a true base station or portable stealth antenna.

The antenna is 75’ long and covers 10M to 160M (with limited performance on 160M). The Zepp is composed of a 25' matching section and a 50' radiator.

A horizontal configuration of the Zepp antenna will be good for local communications (NVIS from 0 – 400 miles) on 40M (day – evening) and 80M (night). A vertical installation (45 degree +) will provide a vertical polarization and will benefit long-range communications.

Rockntoy

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 03:47:08 PM »
It is also a good system but you have to have the vertical height for myself to work in my area. I am in a valley with very little ways to get the antenna the height I need to make it really work. I have a similar setup now for the house and the neighbor is not happy with it cause i have it hanging off one of his trees. Mine does work but it does need more height. I'm trying to save up and get a diamond hf set up or something I can get up in the air a little better. Still learning what works here and what is not so good.
XTRA Ham
Follower of AA

unseenone

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 03:51:09 PM »
Can you post some pictures and more information about your mobile setup. I see the link on the page is a wire antenna... I also have a 4x4 so I want it to be durable. I can mount from the roof rack rail, and I have a license plate mounting system. The latter  being a better option, because any 4x4 activity can be pretty damaging to sensitive antennas..

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 05:15:07 PM »
Rock

We will have to schedule a comm some evening on 20 meters in tue evening.  After Sunday i am on Business travel until the end of the month.
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

Rockntoy

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 10:01:52 PM »
sounds good.
XTRA Ham
Follower of AA

Rockntoy

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 10:04:17 PM »
Mine is a two peice whip with the Hybrid base. I'll get some picks up soon with it installed. I take it off when I'm not running around, to dang hot in a jeep right now to be out and about.
XTRA Ham
Follower of AA

Rockntoy

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 10:38:53 PM »
Here is my setup on my jeep.
XTRA Ham
Follower of AA

scubadivingjoe

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 11:21:17 PM »
Nice Jeep and nice antenna.  I want to put one on my ride but the wife said no

Tempstar

• Extra, VE, SC Agency MARS, AUXCOMM, ARES/RACES
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 05:28:03 AM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, never let price be a determining factor with an antenna purchase. Lord knows I've pissed away enough cash learning this lesson.  A Chameleon generally performs 1 s unit less than my G5RV at 48'. That is with it on a tripod and no radials. Mounted on the Reese hitch of my Jeep Cherokee it does equally well. I gave away a Tarheel II because it wasn't resonant without me making a new whip, then only marginally. I used to own an 857d with an ATAS which I sold after a short time: Radio was OK, ATAS was junk. I had equally poor results with a Buddipole. Since doing the Chameleon with the V1L and MIL whip, I'm now surrounded with them as all the members of our local club are getting them too. I dropped $432 on my set up, and just bought another one two months ago for the go-kit. Radios all seem to be pretty equal for a given class, but the antenna is what makes them perform.
"Preparedness is a lot more than just buying stuff"

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 09:53:18 AM »
What was the cost of this set up?

Have you tried it for NVIS yet and if so how does it work?

Here is my setup on my jeep.
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

unseenone

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 12:36:27 PM »
frig.... lost my post. I'll summarize

Thank You Rockintoy, Tempster, AD, everyone..  Perhaps you can send me bigger pictures, the picture is too small.

The current roof rack / roof rail configuration for an ATAS120A is not practical for off road, or even back roads, as it sticks up too high and will be damaged.

To that end I bought a stainless license plate antenna mount. This is not idea, but will give me some flexibility, though I'll still have to use a hinged mount in order to open the boot.

Here is a picture of the current configuration, and some other Ham install pictures. I have to run a ground strap to a body ground, because the roof is glass, and there is no ground to the roof rail.

As far as costs, I don't care about the cost so much, but I don't want to have to worry about tuning antennas and mucking about. I would even run two antenna's if needed.  I want decent performance, yet some durability. This will not be the case with the Tarheel or Yaesu Antennas. If I have all band radios, I want to be able to use them, as needed.

Antenna / Anderson installation
http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=26194

Antenna Install
http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=26194&pos=1

This is the license plate mount I picked up, but have not yet installed. You could also flip it over, which probably would be my intention.
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-2820

This is what I'm trying to mount it on;
http://nwoods.smugmug.com/photos/211888803-L.jpg

Admittedly I got into HAM because of AD and AA, and I am not as up to speed as many others. I'm trying.

With the addition of the FT857, I'll be able to set up the 897 in the office, and begin to practice more in earnest. I will of course need an antenna solution for the Base as well. I live in a neighborhood, so I will be limited as to what I can use. A buddipole type setup comes to mind, that I can stick in the back yard. The Chameleon I got absolutely did not work at all well compared to the ATAS, I am not sure why, it could be a combination of the slope I am on, and the thousands of houses all around.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 12:38:12 PM by unseenone »

Tempstar

• Extra, VE, SC Agency MARS, AUXCOMM, ARES/RACES
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 09:46:24 PM »
Ad,
My setup cost $432.00.

I was just working the 7000 tonight and decided to switch between the Chameleon at 10' and the G5RV at 40'. 1 S unit less on the Chameleon, and a little more noise. If the same conditions exist tomorrow, I'll try throwing down a few radials and see if it cuts the noise.

NVIS, I just tilt it over to about 30 degrees and run ground wave out to around 5 miles and NVIS as close in as 88 miles (confirmed contact)
Down side, it seems very prone to receiving electrical noise from any close power lines.
"Preparedness is a lot more than just buying stuff"