Author Topic: New (first) license  (Read 15036 times)

ghrit

• Prepper
New (first) license
« on: November 24, 2012, 08:46:03 PM »
I've been holding off making a first post in the NE region 'til I had something worth saying.  I guess I'm now a ham (maybe a bad actor, too.)

Call is KB3ZMF, effective 11/21, posted by the FCC today.

HT (Kenwood TH F6A) due for delivery this week, so I can learn on the local repeaters.

73s
There are two kinds of ships.  Submarines and targets.
KB3ZMF        FN21dy
Amateur Extra Class,  VE
www.survivalmonkey.com

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
Re: New (first) license
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 08:58:25 PM »
Whoo Hooo.  Congrats

Did you get the programming cable and software with it?

Check out http://k5ehx.net/repeaters/qrepeater.php

Put in your call sign and bring up all of the repeaters in your area (look below the first listing for the "Near by" 1, 10, 20, 50.  This will expaned the distance around your QTH in miles)or to an area where you are traveling to.

I will be posting a video about how to do this on the FT-60R and the RT Systems programming software.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 09:04:42 PM by AD »
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

BTPost

• Old Fart Ham
  • Prepper
    • Bruce's Trading Post
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 09:52:08 PM »
Congrats, Ghrit... Welcome to Hamdom....
Bruce in alaska AL7AQ

ghrit

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 09:59:46 PM »
Whoo Hooo.  Congrats

Did you get the programming cable and software with it?

Check out http://k5ehx.net/repeaters/qrepeater.php

Put in your call sign and bring up all of the repeaters in your area (look below the first listing for the "Near by" 1, 10, 20, 50.  This will expaned the distance around your QTH in miles)or to an area where you are traveling to.

I will be posting a video about how to do this on the FT-60R and the RT Systems programming software.

No, didn't get the cable or software.  Elmer has that stuff that I can use when the time comes.  There are three repeaters I can reach easily that will do for starting out, and I can find others as needed.  (I think, anyway.)

At this point, I'm not 100% sure what all comes in the box with the HT.  I did buy a charging cable for the pickup, and will be getting something a bit more useful than the rubber duck.  Will also get a mag mount for the pickup sooner than later.
KB3ZMF        FN21dy
Amateur Extra Class,  VE
www.survivalmonkey.com

scubadivingjoe

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 10:50:11 PM »
Good Job, welcome to the fun

Earthbound

• trying to get out
  • Extra (2m only)
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 03:24:35 PM »
Ghrit, congrats; your call sounds like a Zombie hunter. :)

I prefer http://www.repeaterbook.com for repeaters. And http://callook.info for callsign lookups.
Yaesu, meet Baofeng 8)

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 03:43:28 PM »
Earth

Can you download the repeaters to a programming software via export from these sites? Specifically to RT Systems software?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 03:45:47 PM by AD »

ghrit

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 04:28:03 PM »
Ghrit, congrats; your call sounds like a Zombie hunter. :)

With my background and automatic tongue, I'm going to have trouble with phonetic spelling.  Glad it will be changed when I get the general.

Had a zombie shoot at the range last year.  Got a couple, I did.
KB3ZMF        FN21dy
Amateur Extra Class,  VE
www.survivalmonkey.com

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 07:38:40 PM »
With my background and automatic tongue, I'm going to have trouble with phonetic spelling.  Glad it will be changed when I get the general.

Had a zombie shoot at the range last year.  Got a couple, I did.

Hate to break it to ya, but your are stuck with that call until you apply for a vanity call. Even with a General, you are still relegated to a "mouth full O letters".  Only after you get the Extra can you cut it to a 2x1 or a 1x2

It was for this reason that i waited until i got my extra to make some QSL cards.  Just made the first cut at it tonight.

I had sooooooo much problems with QSO's running 100 watts and a end fed stealth wire hidden in a pine tree due to HOA concerns.  Many many QSO's went un completed due to band conditions and toooo many letters to copy on the recv end. Now just 4 = XX1X

ghrit

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 08:21:21 PM »
Hate to break it to ya, but your are stuck with that call until you apply for a vanity call. Even with a General, you are still relegated to a "mouth full O letters".
Rats.  Got some bad dope along the way.  It ain't the quantity, it's the quality --
KB3ZMF        FN21dy
Amateur Extra Class,  VE
www.survivalmonkey.com

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 08:38:55 PM »
Look hear for the "rules" on what you can get with eqch license level http://www.w5yi.org/page.php?id=283

Technician, Tech Plus and General Class operators may only apply for a "Group C or D" (1-by-3 or a 2-by-3) call sign format

As a Extra you can apply for a 2x1 or a 1x2 or any of the other formats.

Here is a site, http://www.vanityhq.com/     that although it will take you a while to understand how to navigate, it will give you all the details you need to know.

Look down the page in the left hand center column for Date Controler Call signs

These lists show the call signs that are expired or cancelled, and the date marking the beginning of the 2-year wait. These call signs are in the FCC's database, and will be available for application two years + 1 day after the dates shown

Suffix   1x2   2x1   2x2   1x3   2x3
District   1x2   2x1   2x2   1x3   2x3

Click on these catagories and you will see calls in GREEN are available now  RED not available yet or Black Green available this month

More to learn, but stumble around these sites and ask questions.

You can apply for that vanity call here http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls/index.htm?job=home for $15 "if you quallify". If you screw up the application, you "loose" your $15 fee that is until you apply to get it back. 

Earthbound

• trying to get out
  • Extra (2m only)
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 11:06:43 AM »
Earth

Can you download the repeaters to a programming software via export from these sites? Specifically to RT Systems software?

No, not that I know of.  Doesn't matter to me.  And that K5EHX site doesn't work for me anyway.
Yaesu, meet Baofeng 8)

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 01:54:54 PM »
No, not that I know of.  Doesn't matter to me.  And that K5EHX site doesn't work for me anyway.

I love K5EHX as i can locate repeaters in an area where i will be traveling and export them to a file that is automatically imported by my RT Systems software and it less than 45 seconds load 150 different repeaters in to my HT.  I keep my home QTH on bank one ad any additional locations on Banks 2+.  Then with a few button pushes and a twist of a knob, switch from the PHX area in Bank 1 to the DC area in Bank 2.

I can do the same for the FT-857D as well. 

ghrit

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 08:05:58 AM »
No, didn't get the cable or software.  Elmer has that stuff that I can use when the time comes.  There are three repeaters I can reach easily that will do for starting out, and I can find others as needed.  (I think, anyway.)

At this point, I'm not 100% sure what all comes in the box with the HT.  I did buy a charging cable for the pickup, and will be getting something a bit more useful than the rubber duck.  Will also get a mag mount for the pickup sooner than later.
Update:
Haven't seen Elmer in months and lost patience.  After fighting with the programming manually (not an intuitive process with this ht) resetting back to factory three times, I broke down and bought the Kenwood cable.  Well, my computer doesn't have a 9 pin port, so bought a radio shack adaptor.  HT and 'puter still refused to talk to each other.  Back and forth with email to Kenwood, nothing useful came of it EXCEPT the advice to buy the RT Systems cord, ht to USB.  Ah, now we are getting somewhere.  Life is good, or at least better.  Now to master memory assignments.

For the time being, the mag mount and replacement for the rubber duck are on hold.  I can hit the local repeaters with the stock rd, easily, with the windows rolled up and when I'm down in the valley.  There's a repeater about 30 miles away that I can hit from the dining room table with good signal reports.  When I finally get around to trying simplex on 1.25 meters, will rethink antenna enhancement.  Likewise, when the all band rig comes along ---

Re: "mouthful of letters" There are at least half a dozen of newbies that hit the call assignment desk at about the same time I did, all within the local area.  We drive the weekly club net control round the bend with only one (the last) letter to differentiate us.  He's never sure which zombie hunter is next up.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 08:14:05 AM by ghrit »
KB3ZMF        FN21dy
Amateur Extra Class,  VE
www.survivalmonkey.com

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 05:31:03 PM »
Congrats ghrit
 Did you get the RT Systems software too?  If so the memory system is moat easily  handled via the RT Software.