Author Topic: Antenna tuners  (Read 7829 times)

spacecase0

• my spiritual forum
Re: Antenna tuners
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2015, 01:30:22 PM »
Then let me be the first one you hear complain about them.  I've had 3 of them and had problems with every one.  The first one was a Z100 - piece of junk !  Would only make a match if it was already close and wouldn't keep a match.  Second was a Z11 Pro.  Shortly after the warranty ran out it stopped matching at all but would continuosly search for a match without ever finding one.  Third is a Z11 Pro 2, it will find a match but sometimes seems to take too long to do so.  Then sometimes it will find a match as indicated by the green LED on the front panel but will search past that point and stop somewhere around 2.5:1 and this is with an antenna that is only a 2.1:1 match to begin with - it actually makes the match worse !  Get yourself a good manual tuner, you can set it and forget it and it will stay matched unless something drastic happens to the system and a manual tuner doesn't require a power surce to run it - you are the power.
were these all connected to the same radio ?
only reason I ask if that one of my friends had a radio that had an unintended signal out in the 35 MHZ range (he was transmitting in the 40M band most of the time),
it confused the LDG tuner quite bad and did pretty much what you are saying yours did.
after the radio was fixed the tuner worked perfect.

and by the way, I like my manual tuner quite a bit.

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2015, 02:28:30 PM »
The only time I used a auto tuner was in unseenones range rover in the middle of WY.

At home I have a MFJ 949 manual and it works great. M

The guys at HRO urged me to get auto tuner but being an engineer i like to screw with things so turning knobs worked for me. 
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

Lamewolf

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2015, 11:10:17 AM »
were these all connected to the same radio ?
only reason I ask if that one of my friends had a radio that had an unintended signal out in the 35 MHZ range (he was transmitting in the 40M band most of the time),
it confused the LDG tuner quite bad and did pretty much what you are saying yours did.
after the radio was fixed the tuner worked perfect.

and by the way, I like my manual tuner quite a bit.

Does it on any radio I have and I have 11 different HF rigs altogether !  On my Off Center Fed Dipole I don't need a tuner on most bands but some places it is about 2.2:1 swr on 80 meters and I use a tuner there.  I can get it to tuner down to about 1.5:1 but then after a few seconds of talking it retunes and settles on 2.5:1 - actually makes it worse than it is.  The factory said RF is getting into it, but I thought a tuner handles RF, so whats the big deal if it does ?

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2015, 11:23:49 AM »
RF is coming back ON the coax(common mode currents) is what they are saying. The RF coming back on the coax will play hell with the electronics in the autotuner.

What does the feed line look like from the radio to the antenna?  Explain the connection, ground rods, air chokes, baluns etc. 

« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 12:16:59 PM by AD »
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

Tevin

• Prepper
  • Rhymes with heaven.
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2015, 07:10:35 AM »
Make sure you have a good solid earth ground on the radio and the antenna tuner. If you are using a common ground bus, take either the radio or the tuner off the bus and give it a separate, distinct path to ground.

When antennas are properly made and the tuner is not busted, 99% of antenna and antenna tuner issues are somehow related to improper grounding.