Author Topic: Repeater lists  (Read 9240 times)

bryanthegoon

• Extra Class and VE
Repeater lists
« on: June 26, 2012, 02:04:33 AM »
Question for everyone out there, where do you get your repeater lists for vhf/uhf?

I know alot of the guys here swear by the K5EHX site http://k5ehx.net/repeaters/qrepeater.php My experience with it has been mixed, I have been able to discover a number of repeaters that were not listed there as well as a number of typos/missing information (bad pl codes, bad offset, ...).  That being said there is an ease of use with how they export...

The local (in my case AZ) repeater coordinator had a list, but it was not in a very usable format, and I was able to find a number of repeaters listed there that either were in some way or another no longer up/available.

Of course there are the ARRL repeater directories, I do not have a current copy at the moment to make any comparisons as to how complete they are (the copy I have is dated like 1990).

Now I understand that the K5EHX site seems to have good info for any of the commonly used repeaters.  And in most cases that does the job, but I am the kind of guy that wants to make sure I have all my options available.  If there is an emergency (whether personal or broader scale) I don't want to limit my opportunities, for making contact, in any way that I can avoid.  So just curious what other guys are using to get their "list".  This topic is of particular interest to me is I tend to spend alot of time in more remote/rural areas and this seems to be where K5EHX has the most errors/omissions.  I was able to hit a number of repeaters in remote areas that were listed on the repeater coordinator site but not in K5EHX, and likewise corrected some PL codes ( which I actually went back to K5EHX and corrected on their site after getting the values from the repeater coordinator (and testing). 

The comment may be made that many of the repeaters that aren't listed in some places probably get limited use... that being said there are many that have autopatch available, or have links to other repeaters that can be brought up, or you never know you might not be able to hit anything else and the guy that put up this repeater is listening just because it is "his" repeater....  If I am laying on a trail with a broken leg, or my vehicle is broken down in a remote area (with young children in the car) I want any option I can get to make some kind of contact.  or likewise in a SHTF situation where primary comms locations are in some way taken out, knowing the "path less traveled" so to speak could be a boon (assuming you can get that information to others).

I am by no means trying to start any kind of flame war, just wanting to start a discussion on what options are out there and to know if I am missing anything.  For local type stuff I can play and fine tune my list at my leisure, but I often spend time in remote areas quite a ways from home and don't always have the luxury of lots of time to play and refine the list before I may be in an emergency situation.  I would rather have a few frequencies in my list that don't work than to not have the one that saves my life.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 02:08:11 AM by bryanthegoon »

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
Re: Repeater lists
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 08:36:28 AM »
BTG

The good thing about k7ehx, is that he asks for corrections to,his database if you find anything amiss

Here is the AZ cood site and those should be pretty upto date
http://www.azfreqcoord.org/listings.htm

Then nice thing about the K5ehx/RT Systems software, is that you can easily amend the spread sheet very easily to correct or add any issues. 
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

bryanthegoon

• Extra Class and VE
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 10:03:58 AM »
Hi AD,

Those are all good points, I have already made corrections to K7EHX for a few things, and I don't see any problems with working that way for "local"/AZ stuff.

Just a quick example for my concerns, and the reason for the post.... This weekend my son and I will be in a remote part of southern Colorado on a fishing trip (an area that I have never been to before).  I have already been informed that this area does not have cell phone coverage.  Going into this area I want to be as prepared as possible (especially given current fire conditions), but don't have the luxury of playing with my list, I will have whatever list of repeaters I take with me.

AD

• Administrator

bryanthegoon

• Extra Class and VE

Recon prepper

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 02:15:23 PM »
i bought the arrl repeater directory it was 1095 and list every state. I like hard copies incase i dont have access to internet.
isbn # is 978-0-87259-085-4
General Class, ARES, RACES, CERT

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 02:57:08 PM »
I agree with you one one point, i carry the ARRL directory with memwhen i travel.  BUT it cant program my HT radio like the K5EHX site does  8)

Earthbound

• trying to get out
  • Extra (2m only)
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 06:10:14 PM »
Why don't repeater owners or trustees update their listings or at least respond to emails?  Why do they have their name and email listed if you don't want to repsond?  Is it just to brag?  If I went to the trouble to put one up, I could certainly go to the little extra trouble of posting updates.
Yaesu, meet Baofeng 8)

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 07:22:17 PM »
Because for the most part they just want to own a part of the spectrum so someone else can't use it.
The more I learn, the less I know.

AC9DJ

• New Site Member
  • HAM Radio, Amateur Extra, AC9DJ, ARES/RACES, Skywa
    • AC9DJ
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 12:40:05 AM »
My personal favorite is rfinder.net, while it is a pay service it has been flawless to me.
http://www.rfinder.net/blog/
"He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame."

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 09:05:55 AM »
There is an app for android too, I think it's called Rfinder. It will use your GPS to find ones local to you. It was like 2 bucks. Works well when you are traveling.
The more I learn, the less I know.

AC9DJ

• New Site Member
  • HAM Radio, Amateur Extra, AC9DJ, ARES/RACES, Skywa
    • AC9DJ
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 02:44:32 AM »
There is an app for android too, I think it's called Rfinder. It will use your GPS to find ones local to you. It was like 2 bucks. Works well when you are traveling.

Yes this is related to the site I posted about, they have an iOS app as well besides also having an interface with the RT Systems software, very handy!
"He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame."

W.Lynn

• CDT
  • Trouble-making grandma
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 03:44:38 PM »

Yay!  I may soon need that.