Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 7965 times)

vektor40

• New Site Member
« on: January 01, 2015, 09:29:49 PM »
I have just joined the forum. I live in Granville County, NC. 

I have Tech privileges and if all goes well, I will be taking the General test on 1/10/15.  I have not been very active as a Tech but this has changed. I just got into a rut and became lazy.  I am looking at some new equipment viz. the Elecraft KX3 and the Yaesu 857D.  I really like the Elecraft but at the moment greenbacks are the deciding factor so I will probably buy the Yaesu with a Buddipole.  Hopefully at some time in the future I will be in a position to get the Elecraft.

I am keen to learn from the members of this forum.

I hope that everyone has a happy, healthy and prosperous 2015.

Be safe.

spacecase0

• my spiritual forum
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 01:24:36 AM »
good luck with the test,
get what you can afford as getting on the air is the most critical thing,
I ended up with 3 HF radios over the years, one of them was only $400 and I don't use it lots...
the 857 is likely better for mobile use as it is quite easy to use most functions while driving,
if you get the KX3, the matching power amp is likely a good idea for the days that conditions are less than ideal
also I find 2M SSB quite fun, the 857 does it, and the KX3 does it with the add on.
for backpacking and running on solar I would not want the 857, it would be the KX3 or the FT-817 with matching power amps
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 01:26:40 AM by spacecase0 »

Tempstar

• Extra, VE, SC Agency MARS, AUXCOMM, ARES/RACES
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 05:14:07 AM »
Welcome! Don't let those questions go un-answered. When it comes to information, we're full of it.
"Preparedness is a lot more than just buying stuff"

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 09:43:16 AM »
Welcome Vek.

I have the 857d as my base/mobile & backpacking radio.  Its a great unit, but the menu system is deep and wide.   I use mine as a base with Ham Radio Deluxe on the laptop.  HRD puts all of the necessary functions on the screen for easy access and adjustments.  Things like mic gain, power and much more are adjustable via a mouse and sliders. 

http://www.ham-radio-deluxe.com

HRD and an internet connection also lets you log contacts, search QRZ for details and the log book function will tell you if you have worked someone in the past and on what freq.  you can also run digital modes via HRD too.

Here is a thread on HRD
http://www.preparedham.com/forums/general-discussion/ham-radio-deluxe-screen-shot-for-the-857d/msg2925/#msg2925

You can save some money up front (vs the buddypole)by buying something like a G5RV antenna and a tuner and still have a multi-band antenna.

Again welcome.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 09:48:47 AM by AD »
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

DragoSapien

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 08:55:32 PM »
Welcome to the site.

TexasRadio

• New Site Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 10:07:21 AM »
Welcome to the forum.
Congrats on the NEWBIE HAM TICKET.
You should not have any issue with the General.

As far as the Buddiepole goes, they have a DIY version on the web site with a list of ingrediants if you want to try and build one.

Have fun !!!

EXTRA CLASS LICENSE
VE CERTIFICATE

vektor40

• New Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 10:50:37 AM »
I passed the General exam today :)

I mentioned buying the 857 to one of the examiners and I was told that this model has also been discontinued.

I was told that that it is being replaced by a flagship model the 991.  A quick review of the specs suggest an impressive, but expensive portable/base station radio.  It really has impressive features for just touching $1700.00

I looked online and see that the FT 1200 dx is a good, solid option for HF work.  I can get it for about $1100.00 after mail in rebate and then the FT 8800 is about $450.  So for the price of the 991, I can get a mobile and dedicated HF rig.

As I do not have much experience and knowledge as the veterans out there, I would appreciate some guidance. One factor that always worries me is that a brand new product may have teething problems although I guess that Yaesu's quality is not to be scoffed at.

scubadivingjoe

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 11:47:36 AM »
Look around you can find a used 857 for around $600.  They are a great radio.  I have the FT 857 and the FT 897. 

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 12:34:54 PM »
Congrats sir.

A look at the Yaesu website still show the 857 in the product line up. 
http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=8CBB7C4BDBAF40129AD4253A4987523C&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

For a uhf/vhf I bought a Powerwerx 750 and I love it. Wider band coverage than the 8800 and can recv/tranx on FRS, GMRS, Marine.... Now there is the question about the legal aspect of using those band, but the fact is you have them. $299.  I added this Comet wide band SAR(Search & Rescue) antenna.  Since I am part of CERT and Sheriffs Posse in an emergency I Have access to those bands via the radio and antenna.  Again the legal aspects of operating on those freqs is still in question(dont send hate mail)

The FT1200 is an great radio and better than the 857
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/11164

The 857 can be used for both the base and mobile applications and a pack radio too.

In the end if you have the budget for the 1200 and you just want a UHF/VHF systm in the vehicle and you never plan on operating mobile HF, that is the way to go.

Just remember for the base you will need a power supply, antenna tuner, coax, antenna(s) some sort of wall pass through for coax, lighting arrestors(if you choose)

I ise this box http://www.kf7p.com/KF7P/EntrancePanels.html with the arrestors but since my shack is on the second floor, this box is mounted to my block fence at the base of a pine tree with my stealth Par End Fedz  http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamwire/4456.html  antennas hidden in the pine tree due to the HOA. The is a 8 ft ground rod that the copper back plate in the box is bonded to the ground rod with 2 inch wide copper strip. 

Using this set up I have never had an issue with RF in the second floor shack. YMMV

« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 12:51:10 PM by AD »

Tevin

• Prepper
  • Rhymes with heaven.
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 05:34:11 PM »
The Elecraft is a great radio...you are aware that it's $900 and you still have to put it together yourself, right? To me it's a no-brainer. My vote is for the 857D. It's an amazing bang for the buck. 

Also, I would not recommend a Buddipole unless you are in a situation where you cannot leave an antenna out all the time. The Buddipole is not bad for what it is but it's expensive and was not intended as a permanent install.

And as AD mentioned, leave room in the budget for the extras you will need to get on the air. Those items can easily add hundreds of dollars to the cost of your station. Heck, I bet I have over $500 worth of coax coiled up in my garage.  ??? Extra Connectors, fuses, assorted spare parts...it's easy to get sucked into the vortex.

Good luck and let us know what you eventually decide.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 05:36:16 PM by Tevin »

vektor40

• New Site Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 11:49:23 AM »
Thank you everyone for the advice.

I agree that the budget is the final deciding factor.  I have heard good reports about the 857.  I have just always ben concerned about purchasing 'discontinued' items.  I have no experience in the ham world with this issue.  I would imagine that with hamfests and operators, one will always find some sort of accessory available. I would imagine that Yaesu also stands behind their discontinued product.

I will build a J-Pole for the permanent antenna and will keep a buddipole handy for travelling.  I need to give a lot of thought to the radio for my car.  I need to think about how much time I will really be on air and if a permanent install is worthwhile.

I also realize that the 991 is high dollar at this point because it is new  Eventually the price will come down.  I have also heard that their are hams out there who are early adopters and they purchase new models as soon as they are released.  Some sell these off after a few months and they can be $300-$400 dollars less than the new prices.

Anyway, I will post when I decide.  I have met a ham who has been operating for many years and he is the guy who got me interested in the Elecraft.  I may just wait for the day when I can pick up a good used KX3.

For those of you with 857's, are they reliable and besides fuses, connectors etc, is there any other spare part that is recommended? 

spacecase0

• my spiritual forum
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 03:58:56 PM »
For those of you with 857's, are they reliable and besides fuses, connectors etc, is there any other spare part that is recommended?
I had my microphone break after about 5 years, replaced it with the one that has the touch tone buttons on it,
and after many years had to recalibrate the power amp section idle current, so others could understand me on 2M SSB again, but you don't need parts to do that

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 04:47:13 PM »
As I said the 857 does not look like Yaesu is discontinuing the model.

Its a solid radio.

The JPole is only good for UHF/VHF not HF which with the general is the fun part of HAM.

What is your property situation like?  HOA, restrictions.....

Get a G5RV and a tuner to get on HF.

Tempstar

• Extra, VE, SC Agency MARS, AUXCOMM, ARES/RACES
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 08:46:17 PM »
Do your research and talk to Hams. Let that be your deciding factor. It's human nature to suggest something we like on the assumption you will too. I've owned about every entry level HF radio and have found that there is no one perfect radio. Right now a Kenwood TS-480 sits in the shack and another is in my truck. I also have an 897 Yaesu for "grab and go". My Elecraft went away after just a few weeks, and the IC-7000 after about two months. It boils down to personal preference, your expectations, and what you ultimately want to do with it. I do a lot of emergency management so most of my comms are local and surrounding states. If you want to contest, that's a whole other set of gear.
Also, save some headaches and get the best antenna you can afford. It's the biggest part of your HF setup. You can work the world on 5 watts with a proper setup.
"Preparedness is a lot more than just buying stuff"

vektor40

• New Site Member
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 06:54:55 AM »
Tempstar

Thanks.  I agree it is personal preference and suggestions from the 'veterans' helps to narrow down a search.

What sort of antenna is your recommendation for portable work viz. camping, hiking etc?