Author Topic: What about a magnetic loop for stealth and emergency communication?  (Read 15384 times)

Captain Crunch

• New Site Member
Re: What about a magnetic loop for stealth and emergency communication?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2014, 09:04:19 PM »
if ti matters any
I have tried the magloops 4 foot over the ground, and up off the ground quite a bit more,
and as long as they don't have anything in the way (like a tree) they seem to work pretty much the same regardless of elevation

Magnetic loop if installed vertically only needs about 1/2 length to a full length of the loop diameter in elevation to decouple them from the earth ground. But if they're installed horizontally the elevation will actually going to be more important depending of the selected frequency.

The experience that I did with my own magnetic loop (with the small Faraday coupling loop) is that your body really influences the antenna tuning which can be annoying at some extent but they're honestly working great! I did some comparison with a 60' long end fed at 20' high and a magnetic loop sit on a wooden chair and the results were pretty much the same in RX and TX. The wire was fast tuning and could handle more power but the noise level was several unit higher than the magnetic loop.

- CC

spacecase0

• my spiritual forum
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 12:32:31 AM »
I have seen people use a loop for receive,
and a vertical (like the LDG S9) for transmit
it drops the total price and you still get the selective receive of the loop

Lamewolf

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 06:13:29 AM »
I have seen people use a loop for receive,
and a vertical (like the LDG S9) for transmit
it drops the total price and you still get the selective receive of the loop

The reason they use the loop for receive is because you can rotate it and null out some of the noise and maximize the signal you are interested in hearing.

Captain Crunch

• New Site Member

Lamewolf

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2015, 10:46:18 AM »
I'm always skeptical of new & amazing antennas that would look small on a Smart Car and claim to work on every band and outperform 100 year old proven designs. Almost all of them work to a degree but I've never seen or heard of one that truly delivers on all its bragging.

Don't discount the performance of a magnetic loop until you have tried one. I was skeptical too until I built one myself (didn't want to pay a big price to be disappointed) and found out they work amazingly well !