Author Topic: A new radio  (Read 10773 times)

Tex

• Good friends are hard to come by. Treat'em that way.
  • Need a horse?
    • Wyoming: where the men are men and the women are too
A new radio
« on: February 03, 2012, 11:47:44 PM »
After a person passes their tests and they have the money for a radio burning a hole in their locket, what kinds of things should they be aware of or ask about when they go to purchase equipment? Is there a certain list of criteria that a newbie should be aware of? Are there any pitfalls that could bite you in the rear on your new purshases?

Thanks

Tex
You big'uns line up, and you little'uns bunch up. It's about to get western.

GDP

• Global Moderator
  • Extra Class
Re: A new radio
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 08:02:53 AM »
The first question I would ask myself is, "exactly what do I want the radio to do for me?"  There is a variety of frequencies to Hams, and the different frequencies offer different ranges of communications.  If you need short-range comms, you will need a 2 meter rig.  Longer-range comms are usually done with an HF (high frequency) rig.

Do you want to operate mobile from a vehicle or from your home/base location?  Vehicle operation will require your rig to operate from 12 volts DC.  The same radio at home will need a 12 volt DC power supply of some type.

Do you want to operate while hiking?  The best type of rig for this would be a HH (handheld).  These rigs, however, are limited in their range.

And in the final analysis, it's antenna, antenna, antenna.  The type of antenna you use and how it is installed will make or break your comms.

I doubt that this post really appears to answer your questions.  There are a number of manufacturers for Amateur equipment, and many of the radios have similar features.  My best advice would be to decide what you need.  After a while here with this bunch of folks, you'll get enough info to make a good decision.

Just keep that money cool and don't let it burn your pocket!!   ;)
GDP

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 08:59:14 AM »
Tex wants to operate from his horse!  8)
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 09:20:18 AM »
I think there are two questions that you need to answer and that really helps break it down to what you need..

Is there VHF/UHF activity in your area? In Wyoming my guess is probably not. So an HT would basically be useless.

Second where do you want to operate from? Mobile? Or base? Or Both? That dictates which radios you look at it. I ended up answering both, and I decided to get a base station a 756 proIII and an Icom Ic-7000 for mobile ops.  The 7000 would do both, but working base it's nice to have bigger larger knobs and screens to operate on.

The big deal in the ham world is Yaesu vs Icom. It like ford vs chevy in the car world.. At the end of the day they both work well.

Lastly you can get some really good deals on used rigs. I bought an 857d new sold it used, and MADE money...
The more I learn, the less I know.

GDP

• Global Moderator
  • Extra Class
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 09:35:36 AM »
I think there are two questions that you need to answer and that really helps break it down to what you need..

Is there VHF/UHF activity in your area? In Wyoming my guess is probably not. So an HT would basically be useless.

Second where do you want to operate from? Mobile? Or base? Or Both? That dictates which radios you look at it. I ended up answering both, and I decided to get a base station a 756 proIII and an Icom Ic-7000 for mobile ops.  The 7000 would do both, but working base it's nice to have bigger larger knobs and screens to operate on.

The big deal in the ham world is Yaesu vs Icom. It like ford vs chevy in the car world.. At the end of the day they both work well.

Lastly you can get some really good deals on used rigs. I bought an 857d new sold it used, and MADE money...

Kenwood also manufactures Amateur equipment.   (Those ICOM and Yaesu folks don't like to talk about it, however!)   ;D
GDP

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 09:39:36 AM »
Kenwood also manufactures Amateur equipment.   (Those ICOM and Yaesu folks don't like to talk about it, however!)   ;D

Agree, both my HT and my mobile rig d710a are kenwood and I like them very much. For HF I really like the the ICOM's but would also seriously consider the tentec as well.

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 09:39:51 AM »
I have checked Tex repeater status and he does have coverage for the most part. 

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 09:41:36 AM »
I have checked Tex repeater status and he does have coverage for the most part.

Thats interesting. Do you know if they are used? I know in TN for example there are a few repeaters, that no one responds on just dead. Here in Atlanta, there are no less than 12 active repeaters.

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 09:57:48 AM »
Dont know if they are used.   They have a NE wy ham group that i am sure keep it hopping.

http://k5ehx.net/repeaters/qrepeater.php is whatni used to check his area.

Tex

• Good friends are hard to come by. Treat'em that way.
  • Need a horse?
    • Wyoming: where the men are men and the women are too
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 02:54:31 PM »
I'm not ready to buy yet as I want to take my tests first and have everything ready to go. To start off with though, I want to be as versatile as possible because I dont know which direction I will head to eventually. So I'm thinking that a decent all-around type unit that may not be the best at any one thing but will allow me to gain some experience in several different areas.

I do know that I will want to start off with a radio that I can use at home or take with me. Like AD said, I will eventually want one to carry in my saddlebags. For this though, I will end up getting a handheld when the time comes. Starting off though, being able to make contacts nationwide and around the globe sound fun. I was also told the other night that it is possible to contact the international space station. That is a definite must as far as I'm concerned. Having the ability to have communication capabilities when traditional comms may not be available is very important to me.

For all I know, this may be too much to ask of one radio, but I would like to start off somewhere in this neighborhood.

Thanks
Tex
You big'uns line up, and you little'uns bunch up. It's about to get western.

ToeJam

• Global Moderator
  • New Site Member
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 03:44:29 PM »
I'm not ready to buy yet as I want to take my tests first and have everything ready to go. To start off with though, I want to be as versatile as possible because I dont know which direction I will head to eventually. So I'm thinking that a decent all-around type unit that may not be the best at any one thing but will allow me to gain some experience in several different areas.

I do know that I will want to start off with a radio that I can use at home or take with me. Like AD said, I will eventually want one to carry in my saddlebags. For this though, I will end up getting a handheld when the time comes. Starting off though, being able to make contacts nationwide and around the globe sound fun. I was also told the other night that it is possible to contact the international space station. That is a definite must as far as I'm concerned. Having the ability to have communication capabilities when traditional comms may not be available is very important to me.

For all I know, this may be too much to ask of one radio, but I would like to start off somewhere in this neighborhood.

Thanks
Tex
Not too much to ask for at all, but it will knock the vast majority of HH's out in the Yaesu world there is the 857/897 models that are basically a shack in a box, they are a do all radio, but at the same time they are kind of like a Swiss Army knife, they do EVERYTHING reasonably well but nothin in a spectacular way.