Author Topic: Any Amateurs in Southwest Virginia and Northeast Tennessee?  (Read 5504 times)

kf4lne

• Communications Bunker
  • New Site Member
I am just wondering how many of my neighbors may also be members here, if they are willing to share that information. I am interested in setting up a local VHF "net" between some of the other survival minded hams in my area. The idea being that if there are enough hams involved spread out over the local area, that during a local SHTF event that at least one of us will have a working telephone or power or some resource the rest of us need access to. Thanks.
Dan
KF4LNE/WQIM928

The contents of my posts are for entertainment and educational purposes only. If you fail to survive doing something you read in this post, to bad. Thats just more preps for me :p

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
Re: Any Amateurs in Southwest Virginia and Northeast Tennessee?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 07:06:19 PM »
We have a wednesday night HF net that meets at 8pm EST. Not sure the range on VHF is going to do what you want to accomplish.
The more I learn, the less I know.

kf4lne

• Communications Bunker
  • New Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 10:20:39 PM »
The range on VHF already does very well what I want to accomplish, but the lack of prepper minded hams keeps it from happening. Communications range on VHF from my bunker is around 30ish miles in most directions to a comparable VHF station and the expected need would be to have a network in place and tested in the event of a local SHTF like a tornado or flood or some other event that would take down utilities like power and phone.

As for the Wednesday night net, as soon as I get my HF rig back, I will try to check in, but due to some really poor antenna conditions here at my bunker I'm not sure how well its going to work out.
Dan
KF4LNE/WQIM928

The contents of my posts are for entertainment and educational purposes only. If you fail to survive doing something you read in this post, to bad. Thats just more preps for me :p

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 10:48:07 PM »

As for the Wednesday night net, as soon as I get my HF rig back, I will try to check in, but due to some really poor antenna conditions here at my bunker I'm not sure how well its going to work out.

Don't sweat the antenna setup. I have a terrible setup antenna wise, and I get out just fine.
The more I learn, the less I know.