Author Topic: Queen Creek J-Pole built for $10 by Tom Miller K8PNW, Superstition Amateur Radio  (Read 12265 times)

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
So you have a UHf/ VHF radio and you want to buy a base antenna but you cant afford it.  Tom Miller K8PNW of the Superstition Amateur Radio Club, shows you how, for just $10 ( if you have to buy parts) you can make a great antenna.

Check out this link http://wb7tjd.org/club/archive/2012/Club_Newsletters/Communicator_03_2012.pdf

There is also a great solar article in this newsletter too. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 08:59:07 AM by AD »
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

spacecase0

• my spiritual forum
that is a very fun antenna,
thank you for the link

asatrur

• KD0***
Man, I miss the Sups. I grew up in AJ and spent many a day hiking the whole range.
Extra Class Ham Radio license
One is none and two is one!

AD

• Administrator
Man, I miss the Sups. I grew up in AJ and spent many a day hiking the whole range.

Cover in snow yesterday from tue storm this weekend.  4Peaks is covered.  Flag/Snow Bowl got 60 plus inches in 2 days. 

PLA

• Se Az / Extra/VE
    • The Quiet Survivalist
Very cool. I see a science project for my kid coming fast

AD

• Administrator
The link changed so i updated it. 

kf4lne

• Communications Bunker
  • New Site Member
I built one of these this evening. Parts cost was just over $7.00 at Lowes. The antenna works well and presents a suitable SWR. I was able to get about a 1.3:1 across the band. I am looking into using the same materials to build a super-j and see how well it does.
Dan
KF4LNE/WQIM928

The contents of my posts are for entertainment and educational purposes only. If you fail to survive doing something you read in this post, to bad. Thats just more preps for me :p

AD

• Administrator
Got some photos you can post?

kf4lne

• Communications Bunker
  • New Site Member
Here are some action shots:

The antenna mounted on the portable pole I keep in the truck.

Using the antenna to communicate with the UFO hovering over the FBI building next door. They said don't re-elect the current administration.

Close up shot of the construction and feedpoint. The feedpoint on this antenna is a bit higher up the matching stub than it is on a copper J-pole.

I am satisfied with he performance of the antenna. This is a good antenna for a beginner or a ham on a budget. I spent $7.27 at a Lowes in Virginia to get all of the parts I needed. I already had the coax and connector. I plan to install a choke inside the box and install a SO-239 on the bottom side of the electrical box as well as replace the clamp screws on the conduit adapters with rivets for a more secure hold.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 12:00:57 PM by kf4lne »
Dan
KF4LNE/WQIM928

The contents of my posts are for entertainment and educational purposes only. If you fail to survive doing something you read in this post, to bad. Thats just more preps for me :p

spacecase0

• my spiritual forum
you got a ufo in your antenna picture, that is fun...

AD

• Administrator
Dan

Great photos of the Sup Jpole. Thanks for posting these.  Any chance on doing a comparison of the performance against another known antenna? 

I am missing the ufo  :'(

kf4lne

• Communications Bunker
  • New Site Member
I am missing the ufo  :'(

Pic 2, circled in red  :D

I am going to do some comparisons against a couple of other antennas in the near future. I have already compared it to a 5/8 WL ground plane with no noticeable differences, however the 5/8 WL was less successful at attracting a UFO when compared to the j-pole.
Dan
KF4LNE/WQIM928