Author Topic: Which Radio  (Read 7024 times)

Rockntoy

Which Radio
« on: February 06, 2012, 11:36:59 AM »
Upon looking and staring at all the different radios and bells and whistles that can be added on. The question that I have is which type of radio do most ham radio operators use for normal use. I see HF which I see as highly financed or the UHF/VHF that are more readily available to my lack of large monetary funding. I kinda want to do this right the first time instead of saying I should have got that one. It will be a mobile as well as a home unit. Do not need a radio to talk to BFE but a well rounded unit for local and in the states type transmission.
 Dumb question # 23
       Thanks, Jim
XTRA Ham
Follower of AA

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
Re: Which Radio
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 11:45:32 AM »
Rock

Look at this post http://www.preparedham.com/forums/index.php?topic=86.0

A HT, an external mag mount antenna, speaker/mic combo and you could add a base antenna and get it all for <$300

You can use it in the car or at home.  Only drawback is 5 watts output. Most UHF/VHF mobile / base unit go for 25-50 watts.  But you are getting close to the cost of a used or new rig ($600-$850)like a FT-857D which gives you  UHF/VHF and all of the HF bands.
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

DSB

• Mr. Personality
  • Global Moderator
  • General Class
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 11:52:56 AM »
I say this all the time, don't spend any money until after you finish testing. As AD said, you may chose a different multi faceted rig after you know more about all the options.

P.S. what it sounds like you are interested in is NVIS, which is a technique of mounting your antennas when using the HF bands (General license reqd). Couple that with a handheld VHF unit and you get 0-600 mile range.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_Vertical_Incidence_Skywave
It's the technique all of us moderators use in talking to each other within our state and to the states adjoining.

BFE contacts are just for fun (primarily) and is referred to as "DXing"
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:02:48 PM by DSB »
DSB

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 12:11:07 PM »
You can easily spend 400-500$ on a VHF/UHF rig.. You can get a full blown HF VHF/UHF rig for 600-700... You get just the VHF/UHF you have to buy HF later, you save a little more and get an "all in one" you end up saving money.  You can find a nice 706mkIIg for 500$ sometimes.. That will do it all for you. I saw a 857d for sale the other week for 650$ I almost bought it, to resell it and make money on it, but someone beat me to it.
The more I learn, the less I know.

Rockntoy

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 02:20:06 PM »
Thanks all for the great replies. No i'm not going to buy anything right now, just trying to put a name with a face as to say. Just was wanting to know what was the more popular frequencies that everyone used. Still a lot of learning and that will come. $500.00 was the round figure I was going to spend and wanted the most fun for the buck. Was trying to figure out what the emergency prepardness freq. are and the weather watchers what they used. Here in the middle of Tornado central I was wanting to know what was going on in case of one was heading our way again. 4 near misses in as many years gets your attention. Plus I still want to talk with other hams where ever they are.
 Thanks, Jim
XTRA Ham
Follower of AA

DSB

• Mr. Personality
  • Global Moderator
  • General Class
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 02:22:50 PM »
$500.00 was the round figure I was going to spend and wanted the most fun for the buck.
You are on the right track, compadre! As said before, that will put you on the airwaves.
DSB

N7TFP

• New Site Member
    • N7TFP.com
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 04:15:25 PM »
I'd recommend watching this video:
http://youtu.be/Dz5BKPvByNQ

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.”
     -Nikola Tesla