Author Topic: My dumb questions  (Read 19562 times)

Sacajawea

Re: My dumb questions
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2015, 06:28:29 PM »
I know; and thanks - that kind of thing really HELPS.

Another 2 chapters down.

Are there - by chance - any online tests? I'll hit up my local guys about timing for the next test. If there's enough time, I think I might indulge in a second source of learning material.

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2015, 06:59:57 PM »
A quick look at this thread should give you all you need.  By the way its a Sticky on this forum
http://www.preparedham.com/forums/index.php?topic=19.
Did you try www.hamtestonline.com ?
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

W.Lynn

• CDT
  • Trouble-making grandma
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2015, 08:08:51 PM »
Actual test online, no, don't think so.  Practice tests though, yes.  And I really liked the progress viewing & practice tests at  http://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/ (ham test online.)  You can use tabbed browsing to look up all the extra information you want, flip book pages, etc. 

One of the big things is leaving it in "study" mode until ready to actually test, then choose test mode and see how you do.  I got the heads-up on that here.

dangerdan

• Extra class operator /VE
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2015, 07:51:26 AM »
Sacajewia

If you have the AARL technician book ,I believe there is a CD in the back with tests .

To find exam dates and places , check out the AARL site .

best to finish the book before practice tests .
  Good luck and keep at it .

DD

Sacajawea

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2015, 09:04:31 AM »
UPDATE:

yeah, I gotta a lot of irons in the fire right now. So, with the July 1 test change... I'm scheduled to take both tech & general on the 30th of this month.

2 more chapters tech and all of the general... going to go signup for the website now. I'll have to "cram" some of the formulas, etc type stuff... frequency ranges... but I usually don't forget stuff, if I've fully digested things in text first. I figure time is getting real short - there's an opportunity right in front of me - the local guys are very helpful and encouraging - and I'd be an idiot to not get this done NOW. I won't be an expert, if I pass... but I can work on that in between all the other "have tos" on my every-changing list.

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2015, 09:23:29 AM »
Hey SAC thanks for the update.  Since I am not at the other place anymore it's good to hear you are moving forward.

Have you started taking practice exams yet?

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2015, 09:26:25 AM »
You mean ham test online?

If so make sure you follow my study method I posted in the training section.

Sacajawea

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2015, 09:43:18 AM »
Will do, AD.

We are melting in the heat down here and I have family stuff going on for a few days... but I'll get there. I can read fast; remember; and love taking tests. But if I run into anything that I have questions about, I'll be sure to hollar.

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2015, 10:52:53 AM »
Heat?  I went from 55 degs in Seattle to 110 degs in PHX in 3 hours.   But it's dry.

Holler if you have questions. 

Sacajawea

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2015, 02:47:56 PM »
So... 35 questions on the test. How many right = passing? I'm not finding that info easily.

I'm doing pretty good so far with Hamtest Online - at least I feel I am. Will start running through practice tests soon.

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2015, 03:30:59 PM »
You can miss 9. 

https://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/how-much-math-is-on-the-amateur-radio-exams.htm

What is your score on both the Tech and Gen in the study sections?

Are you following my method for studying?

Sacajawea

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2015, 01:05:19 PM »
More or less, following your recommendation. I wanted to see each possible question at least once, so I have. I'm in the 70-80% range... usually 100 or 200 questions... usually because I don't look - I read instead, and scramble some things in my head, about either the question or the answer. If I just "look" and not think, I "know" the answer and then score in the 90% range.

I'm about to start just running through the practice tests, and keeping my session shorter, but repeat it more often. I have a few distractions around here, too... but it's been interesting observing that old ability still there, for literally "writing" information into my brain. (Now, understanding it is coming slower - but it's still growing, as I connect bits of info while simply "recognizing" the "right answers. It's a weird skill & learning style.)

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2015, 02:05:22 PM »
Is that 70-80 for both Tech and Gen?

The understand will really come after you start practicing the craft.

Review my "method" on taking the exam.  Alternate between T & G

If you are passing the true random tests you will have no issues with the actual exam. 

Do you have your eyes on a radio(s) yet?

Sacajawea

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2015, 04:11:27 PM »
No on the equipment yet. I'm comtemplating an alternate location, but I want to try to contact some of the HAMs around there about logistical issues. Lots of vertical obstructions in the area.   ;D  There might also be some restrictions as it's geographically on the edge of the radio quiet zone, but I KNOW there are HAMs in that county. I'll try to have equipment both places.

Yes, I'm alternating tech & gen tests. So far, getting 80% + on the Gen -- with 75% most frequently missed. Varies more on the Tech; but I'm alternating study question sessions with practice tests. Confidence level is coming up; I'm working on "correct answer recognition" at this point. Seems to be working.

Just like when I go to the range - if I stay too long at it, performance diminishes as I get tired. Frequency, not duration of session, works ever so much better for me. Time just fell right, right now - for me to run sessions throughout the day, most days and the local guys just happened to try to pull together a test session for the 30th. I've been new general questions in the mix, too. Just in case the 30th falls through. Having a solid deadline is good pressure for me.

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2015, 04:47:46 PM »
Good.  You will do well.  Is your email that's listed here when you signed up a good one?