Author Topic: QRP is great for being prepared because:  (Read 13417 times)

Lamewolf

QRP is great for being prepared because:
« on: October 31, 2014, 09:39:53 AM »
1. Equipment is small, can take anywhere and pack anywhere.
2. Uses very little power, can run on AA alkaline batteries.
3. Can use simple wire antennas than roll up and fit in your pocket.
4. Its great fun and reliable.
5. Equipment costs are low especially if you build from a kit or roll your own.

Checkout my QRP website at:  www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

apache235

• New Site Member
Re: QRP is great for being prepared because:
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 09:08:34 AM »
Not a lot of action here, BUT.  I am thinking that QRP is a good idea for preppers because of the portability of it.  As to cost, I'm not into rolling my own but I sure like the idea of the Yeasu FT 817 ND and using some of the stealth antennas that are around.  Going for my general in 10 days and we shall see.

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 09:14:45 AM »
Apache

I would suggest going for the 857D which will do 5 watts out, but still give you the advantage of 100 for when band consitions require it.

The weight is near the same and I have run my 857 off of small portable battery packs and PAR end fedz wire antennas.

QRP is great for CW or digital modes, but when the solar cycle is what it will be for the next several years, you will need all the power you can get.

A QRP rig for a second or third rig is great, but its not a good move for your first rig. 
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

apache235

• New Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 05:29:19 PM »
Thank you for that.  I know the sun cycle is at its low right now but I'm really new to the whole thing so any advice is appreciated.

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 07:16:25 PM »
You are welcome.

Here is the 857D battery pack and a Par(LNR) 20 Meter end fedz wire antenna.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCuGf21tGSc

If you read the SHTF book series Going Home by Angery American you will read about this radio and this antenna. 

I hear AA had a great ham radio consultant  8) :o

DragoSapien

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 10:36:48 PM »
It seem's that all our prepper sites have been slow lately. I use my 706 for QRP along with my Super Antenna. I dont do allot of QRP, but always want to stay in practice.

spacecase0

• my spiritual forum
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 08:29:02 PM »
this page cleared all of what I already typed.
not going to type it again.
summery.
with same power out,
ft817 with power amp needs 20W of solar
ft857 needs 100W of solar
watch your receive current set what you need to run your radio

Tevin

• Prepper
  • Rhymes with heaven.
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 09:15:19 PM »
It seem's that all our prepper sites have been slow lately. I use my 706 for QRP along with my Super Antenna. I dont do allot of QRP, but always want to stay in practice.

All forums are slow lately, not just the prepper related ones.

Anyway, there are an ocean of benefits to QRP. I got into it as a sideline about two years ago and am so sold on it that I'm now at the point where I operate QRP almost exclusively. On the data modes particularly, it is very effective.

I get more DX running PSK31 with 5 watts into a random wire than I ever did on SSB with 100 watts and a big boy antenna. I practically don't even have to try.

I do agree that QRP is not for beginners. There is a certain finesse to making it work and newbs might be easily discouraged. I did an entire blog article about this once. I also do not agree that getting a full power radio and turning the power down is a good idea, at least not for portable operation. Just too much stuff to haul around.

Quiet1

• Hurricane Surfer
  • Prepper
  • Is somebody tuning up, or just my tinnitus again?
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 10:09:43 AM »
I'm wrestling with the QRP bug myself right now.  On the pro side, an FT-817ND, internal batteries, and an LNR Trail-Friendly antenna would weight in at three pounds and would fit in my Camelbak MULE's top pouch.  The down side of course is that it's another $700 I don't need to spend and it's only 5 watts.  Compare this to the FT-857D, which I already have.  Try as I might, I can't get the real-world pack weight down below eleven pounds: radio is 4.6lbs, LiFePO battery 3.4lbs, tuner & balun 3 lbs.  Throw in some random wire, lunch, and a couple of water bottles and it mostly fills a medium ALICE.

Now, I could ditch the tuner and run 25w through an LNR TF antenna to get this down to eight pounds, but that's a serious compromise – 1/4 power and just 10, 20, & 40 meters, as opposed to full power on 80, 60, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12, & 10 meters at a cost of hauling around three more pounds.

So... 3 lbs vs 11 (or 8, which is really a more fair comparison).  Fits in the Camelbak and out the door... or I have to schlep around with ALICE.  Another $700-ish to spend.  Ugh, analysis paralysis.  Maybe I'll take the middle route and get the LNR TF, run 25w without a tuner for a while, see how I like it.

Before jumping in to QRP, spend some time over at http://www.voacap.com.  Do a bunch of point-to-point predictions, and remember to set the noise level (lower right on the panel) to something realistic, like "Residential."  Flip between SSB and CW, and power between 100 and 5w.  Look at the coverage map results too.  For my situation, it shows that QRP can be made to work, but QRO is a lot better.

Just... 3 lbs and fits in the Camelbak... damn, that's tempting.
North of the salt, south of I-10.

Tevin

• Prepper
  • Rhymes with heaven.
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 06:33:58 PM »
I'm wrestling with the QRP bug myself right now.  On the pro side, an FT-817ND, internal batteries, and an LNR Trail-Friendly antenna would weight in at three pounds and would fit in my Camelbak MULE's top pouch.  The down side of course is that it's another $700 I don't need to spend and it's only 5 watts. 

This is a dilemma many hams face. If you are limited by money and cannot afford a dedicated QRP radio, then unfortunately, the decision is made for you.

If another radio is a possibility for you, then maybe this quote from a blog article I wrote a little over a year ago will give some clarity:

"Some hams will use a Yaesu 857D or an Icom 7200 as a portable so they have the option of going up to full power if needed. I recommend against buying a full power rig with the intent of running it as a QRP portable. The idea sounds great in theory; in real life it’s got a lot going against it.

When using it in low power mode, you are lugging around a radio that is much larger and heavier than it needs to be. At the other end, to operate with full 100 watt RF output you must also bring along enough electrical capacity (batteries, generator, etc.) to run it. Either way, you are committing to transport a lot of extra stuff for at best a modest payback. "

The whole article is here: http://offgridham.com/2016/01/getting-started-qrp/

As I already mentioned, I am a fairly recent QRP convert. I have an FT-817ND in addition to my "big boy" FT-950, but after doing QRP for a little while, I think I can say if I could only have one radio I would go with the 817.

So far, I've had great success with QRP and don't even really miss the extra watts. My entire setup, including the antenna and power source, fits in a backpack.

Flight-ER-Doc

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 07:02:25 PM »
The 817 is a great little rig - I have one too.  But the reason I keep it instead of getting an elecraft KX3, which is more energy efficient, and has a far, far better receiver is that the 817 (and the 857) will do SSB on VHF and UHF freqs, something that few if any other radios will do.

And for QRP digital modes over medium length paths (call it 50-100km) with gain antennas, SSB is far better than FM (the KX3 can do 2meter, with an accessory deck). 

apache235

• New Site Member
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2017, 09:36:34 PM »
I really am torn between the FT 817 ND and the elecraft KX3.  What I found is that both can be hooked up to a 100 watt amplifier (for another $700).  I have heard many good things abut the 817 BUT I've also heard that the Kx3 is a much better radio for now and into the future.  The Kx3 is more money, but it's also more radio  I take the general test in a week so I'll decide then. :P

Tevin

• Prepper
  • Rhymes with heaven.
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 07:24:15 AM »
I really am torn between the FT 817 ND and the elecraft KX3.  What I found is that both can be hooked up to a 100 watt amplifier (for another $700).  I have heard many good things abut the 817 BUT I've also heard that the Kx3 is a much better radio for now and into the future.  The Kx3 is more money, but it's also more radio  I take the general test in a week so I'll decide then. :P

The KX3 is highly respected, but whether or not it's "more radio" depends on what you consider "more radio". Also keep in mind that the cost of a KX3 starts at $950, does not include VHF/UHF for that price, and you still have to put it together yourself!

You're going to be happy no matter what you get. A lot of this stuff just comes down to how much money you want to spend.

apache235

• New Site Member
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 09:04:59 AM »
Your points are exactly what I am pondering over. 

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 05:18:54 PM »
Go with a 857D or the 897D with batteries.  Take the 100 watts.