Author Topic: My Adventure with RMS Express/Winmor  (Read 8374 times)

winsatara

My Adventure with RMS Express/Winmor
« on: April 22, 2012, 05:28:41 PM »
To anyone who may find this to be useful,

I've attached a Word document explaining how I set up my Winmor, which may or may not be the best way but it's how I got it to work for me.
Note - I have Windows 7, USB cable, and IC-7600 (firmware version 1.11).  If you have a different set up, you will need to search the internet to hopefully find something similiar.
FYI - RMS Express is version 1.1.7.0 and WINMOR is version 1.4.0.0

I hope this helps someone out there.

Thanks and have a great day,
Winsatara

PS - I just discovered one of the radio settings I changed for WINMOR actually doesn't need to be changed at all.  Not changing the setting (noted in the revised document I just attached) will eliminate the non-WINMOR HF transmit issue I was having.  Sorry for any confusion.  The revised document is correct.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 05:53:40 PM by winsatara »

scubadivingjoe

• Prepper
Re: My Adventure with RMS Express/Winmor
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 05:40:45 PM »
Ok, what is Winmor and why do i need it?  Please educate me.

scubadivingjoe

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 07:42:11 PM »
Thank you very much, you said it "Its a a way to send messages to another ham if the internet goes down."  That is all the reason I need. 

WA4STO

• Whatcha Gonna do when they come for you?
    • WA4STO on QRZ
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 12:17:14 PM »
WS:

Have you been experimenting further with Winmor?

My opinion has always been that any mode that offers "true" error correction via acks/naks would be the very best for SHTF scenarios. 

Then there's the matter of OPSEC which is why I so hate voice modes. 

It would seem that Winmor would help solve both difficulties with SHTF communications.  Better yet, since it's networked on a worldwide basis, it offers the possibility (probability?) of local AND long-distance comms. 

My own experimentation with Winmor has been so-so.  I've set it up, and connected with a local on ten meters and all is well on a peer to peer connection...

.... until I try to send a message. 

Have you experienced -- or otherwise heard of -- any reason why a transfer won't begin?

It would be great -- and it would likely pique the interest of the others here -- if you've had any experiences with Winmor that you'd like to share.

Luck Hurder, WA4STO

winsatara

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 08:07:02 PM »
WA,
To answer your question about a transfer not beginning:
I know for a fact that some stations scan for more than one frequency for WINMOR activity.  So the frequency you are trying to connect to may appear like it's a clear channel, but the station may be in use on another frequency.  The very few times I haven't been able to connect to a specific station, I'll wait about 3-4 minutes and try again.  But now that I think about it, that has to do with connecting to a station, not with the actual transfer of a message.
So you are able to connect to a station, but the message doesn't go thru?

Experience:
Yes, I use WINMOR every day now and really like it.  I've sent HF emails via P2P (peer-to-peer), WL2K (various generic frequencies), and also posted messages on two specific BBS (I registered with the specific sysops to do that - a preparedness/prepper group called TAPRN).

I've been able to do the following:
     send emails to non-hams (radio to internet)
     receive emails from non-hams (internet to radio)
     send and receive HF emails/messages to other hams (radio to radio)
     send and receive HF emails/messages to hams or groups of hams on a BBS (radio to radio)

I keep meaning to try sending an actual file (attachment).  Maybe I'll try that this week.

I've been successful on 20m, 40m and 80m.
There have been times when someone is too far down in the noise on the weekly prepper voice net (TAPRN), but we can always reach each other via WINMOR on those same nights of bad voice net conditions.
Also something good to consider - I typically use 100w for voice, but with WINMOR, I'm only using around 55w.  If ya have to bug out with your emcomm kit and you are limited in alternative power, obviously using less power to reach the same contacts can be helpful.

FYI - Every night (I've been successful in the daytime too) I connect to one of the two BBS (for the prepper group) to check in and see if any member has left a message and/or send one to someone in the group. 
Both BBS belong to members in the the same prepper group, so the sysops linked the two BBS together.  That way, when a registered member connects to one BBS, they end up connecting to both of them, which is very helpful if they can only connect/reach one of the two BBS.  One BBS is located in Maine and the other BBS is located in Oklahoma. 
So imagine an example scenario - Prepper#1 can only reach the Maine BBS and he/she is trying to send a message to the other registered Preppers (who can only reach the Oklahoma BBS).  Fortunately, Prepper#1 can do that because the two BBS are linked. 
I'm lucky enough to be able to reach both BBS, but the messages seem to go thru a little quicker on the Maine BBS for me personally, so I end up using that one most of the time.  I can reach the Maine BBS on the designated 20m freq, but the designated 40m freq is touch-n-go.  For the Oklahoma BBS, I can reach it on the designated 40m freq but not much success on 20m.

Anyway, that's what I've experienced so far.
Sorry I can't be of more assistance on your issue of sending a message.
Winsatara