Author Topic: New HT quest for new HAM/Prepper  (Read 7122 times)

GreekMan

• Prepper
    • GreekPreparedness
New HT quest for new HAM/Prepper
« on: March 13, 2013, 02:55:33 PM »
Hi all!

I was tasked of finding the proper radio for a friend that is about to get his basic license (Greek SY- callsign, low power V/UHF bands).
Since he wants it for prepper communications mainly I have assembled a list of criteria for the considered HTs that you can see in the pic below.

Red is OEM parts, black is Chinese parts

Last Minute Addition:
I am concerned with NiMh battery campatibilty. My Kenwood HT will give me trouble when I try NiMh rechargables in the battery case and use Tones. For some reason I whines when I press the transmit button.
I want to avoid this with this HT selection.

For the life of me I cannot find/understand which of the radios considered are full duplex.
I do not think the Chinese are, but what about the Yaesu ones?
Can you add/correct on these?

Notes:
12V TX - means that the radio can transmit while hooked on a car 12V charging cable (not battery eliminator)
Mic with Buttons – means the mic has function buttons ala Kenwood
GMRS – it seems the UV-5R is compatible with the GMRS bandwidth. (he has a set of Cobra ones)

I admit I am influenced from my Kenwood TH-F7 functions and experience, so any more suggestions on the features and accessories needed for prepper communications are welcome.

Notes 2:
-   I have the field antenna gear and alternate power options covered.
-   Distances between repeaters are small over here, so it is easy to work with 2-5 watts and a mobile antenna

« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 07:56:02 PM by GreekMan »

BTPost

• Old Fart Ham
  • Prepper
    • Bruce's Trading Post
Re: New HT quest for new HAM/Prepper
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 08:05:24 PM »
I have NEVER seen a handheld Full Duplex Radio, even in UHF.... till you get to 900 Mhz and the Tx/Rx split is 20 Mhz... Hard to design a duplexer for those longer wavelengths.... and narrow splits...
Bruce in alaska AL7AQ

Tempstar

• Extra, VE, SC Agency MARS, AUXCOMM, ARES/RACES
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 08:45:23 PM »
Wouxun on the low price end, TH-F6a on the high dollar end. The Wouxun is open on all the bands mentioned and will use most Kenwood speaker mics. Acessories abound for both radios.
"Preparedness is a lot more than just buying stuff"

GreekMan

• Prepper
    • GreekPreparedness
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 01:08:29 AM »
I have NEVER seen a handheld Full Duplex Radio, even in UHF.... till you get to 900 Mhz and the Tx/Rx split is 20 Mhz... Hard to design a duplexer for those longer wavelengths.... and narrow splits...

The Th-F6/7 is.....
unless we mean different things

what we call full duplex over here is the ability to show 2 freqs (V/U doesn't matter) on the display, listen to both, and TX on both by moving a "cursor" on each. thus yuo don't have to change the displayed freq to transmit.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 01:11:30 AM by GreekMan »

BTPost

• Old Fart Ham
  • Prepper
    • Bruce's Trading Post
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 01:46:37 PM »
That is a "Dual Band" Radio, and possibly a "Cross Band" Radio. Certainly NOT a "Full Duplex" Radio, which means it can TX AND Rx on the SAME Band, at the SAME TIME.... "CrossBand" is a Dual Band radio that can TX and RX, on the two different Bands, at the same time. That is the Correct Terminology.... Just Say'en....
Bruce in alaska AL7AQ

GreekMan

• Prepper
    • GreekPreparedness
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 02:55:16 AM »
yes, i googled the term after posting.
Anyway it was meant int he context of the local argo...

So the main question si. Which of the listed radio above can transmit on both the frequencies that are dispayed in the screen (A/B) and not the topmost one?