Author Topic: Hello from Rochester, NY  (Read 4894 times)

bkt

• New Site Member
Hello from Rochester, NY
« on: November 29, 2015, 06:25:57 AM »
Hey folks. I'm a libertarian-leaning, gun-owning prepper who got his tech ticket a couple years ago. I develop software for a living and enjoy listening on HF with my SDR - decoding data or just listening to conversations. I own a few Baofeng UV-5R radios...set a couple up as my own repeater just as an experiment to see if it would work. Mostly, I enjoy talking with some locals. Just picked up a TNC to play with APRS but haven't had the time to put everything together yet.

I'm looking forward to learning a lot here. This looks like a pretty awesome forum.

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
Re: Hello from Rochester, NY
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 06:39:05 AM »
Welcome to PH.  Any plans to go for the General soon?  Long range 2way comms is a great tool for anyone preparing for the future.   
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

bkt

• New Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 07:14:47 AM »
Absolutely - I'm working on studying for my General. Finding time to study is a challenge but I hope to take the test this winter.

Thanks!

DragoSapien

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 12:40:12 PM »
Welcome to PH. This is a great site for friends and info.

Tevin

• Prepper
  • Rhymes with heaven.
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 04:55:10 PM »
Hey folks. I'm a libertarian-leaning, gun-owning prepper who got his tech ticket a couple years ago. I develop software for a living and enjoy listening on HF with my SDR - decoding data or just listening to conversations. I own a few Baofeng UV-5R radios...set a couple up as my own repeater just as an experiment to see if it would work. Mostly, I enjoy talking with some locals. Just picked up a TNC to play with APRS but haven't had the time to put everything together yet.

I'm looking forward to learning a lot here. This looks like a pretty awesome forum.

Greetings and welcome!

Yes, this is an awesome forum.

If you're tired of the "what is the perfect bug out bag?" pissing contests, or "I was in the military therefore I am an expert at everything" chest-thumping badassery, then you came to the right place. PH has an amazing amount of collective wisdom; what you read here will have real-world usefulness.

Prepared Ham is mostly focused on ham radio, but there are no topic limitations here. I hope you enjoy the ride.

BTPost

• Old Fart Ham
  • Prepper
    • Bruce's Trading Post
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 11:56:58 AM »
Welcome, Glad to see someone from Rochester, NY, here.... My wife, Alaskachick, goes back to rochester a couple of time a year, to Teach at the MDs w/o Boarders Training Facility, in Rochester...  Next time she goes I will make sure she has her HT with her, and maybe you two can have a chat....
Bruce in alaska AL7AQ