Author Topic: Hello Everyone  (Read 7686 times)

Tex

• Good friends are hard to come by. Treat'em that way.
  • Need a horse?
    • Wyoming: where the men are men and the women are too
Hello Everyone
« on: February 03, 2012, 11:22:33 PM »
Good evening,

I will start off by introducing myself. My nickname is Tex and I live in the northeast part of Wyoming. I'm not too worried about giving my name and where I'm from because I hope that soon I will have a call sign and that will let everyone know who I am and I sure as heck aint worried about identity theft. Nobody wants to be me.

I have always had an interest in Ham radio, but I didnt know much about it and the operators that I knew of were'nt very forthcoming with helping a prospective new guy out. I honestly had no clue how to get started. Well lastweek a solar flare took out a cell tower and when it reset none of the phones in my area worked. We all had to get new sim cards and the cell company had to get the tower reworked. When I mentioned this on another forum one of the other members suggested that I get into HAM radios so that I wouldnt be without some type of communications should a similar circumstance happen again. We live on a ranch 25 miles from town so needless to say, we dont make a habit of running to town very often. Anyhow, when I said I would like to learn about this stuff, this guy kinda took me under his wing and has been asnwering dumb queztions from me all week long.

I'm really looking forward to this and gathering up all of the knowledge y'all are willing to share.
I'd like to thank all of you guys for you willingness to teach us newbies and I look forward to getting to know each of you.

Thanks,
Tex
You big'uns line up, and you little'uns bunch up. It's about to get western.

Hamsexy

• Shepherd's Apprentice
  • Global Moderator
  • Extra class
Re: Hello Everyone
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 05:41:43 AM »
Good evening,

I will start off by introducing myself. My nickname is Tex and I live in the northeast part of Wyoming.

Welcome to the forum, Tex.  In another life, I used to pass through Lame Deer and Mule Creek Junction pretty often. 

GDP

• Global Moderator
  • Extra Class
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 07:46:59 AM »
Welcome aboard, Tex!  Glad to have you in the group, and we're glad to have you interested in becoming a Ham!  It's a whole world of activity, and we're here to help you jump in with both feet!   ;D
GDP

DSB

• Mr. Personality
  • Global Moderator
  • General Class
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 07:56:26 AM »
Welcome aboard, Tex! We need a good general class HF operator up in Wyoming. Sorry you had a negative experience w/ the operators up there, but I have had that also. It appears in some cases that the only claim to fame these guys have ever had in miserable little lives is their HAM radios and they get a chance to feel superior. Little men with little power. Pathetic.
That's not the case with our gang. If you haven't as of yet, get a copy of the most recent ARRL Technicians Study Guide as that is where it all starts. In 30 hours at 1-2 hours per day, you will be ready for the first exam.
DSB

country boy

• Global Moderator
  • New Site Member
Hello Hello.....
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 09:39:47 AM »
I am an extra and located in the United States.....

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
Re: Hello Hello.....
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 09:42:29 AM »
I am an extra and located in the United States.....

What state are you in?
The more I learn, the less I know.

GDP

• Global Moderator
  • Extra Class
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 09:44:07 AM »
Hey, Country Boy!  Gald to have you join the group.  How long have you been a Ham?  Is there an active club in your area?

P.S.  We'll be looking for you to help mentor all these potential Hams!
GDP

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 09:55:03 AM »
Tex is a non ham, but is all fired up about learning.   
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

MG

• New Site Member
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 11:33:19 AM »
Welcome!