Author Topic: 2m popular repeaters in Phoenix area besides Mt Ord  (Read 6125 times)

JohnnyBGoode

2m popular repeaters in Phoenix area besides Mt Ord
« on: December 01, 2012, 10:29:48 PM »
Recently got on the air using the 2 m repeater at Mt Ord. I haven't found many other popular repeaters yet and wondered what others in the Phoenix area are using.

bryanthegoon

• Extra Class and VE
Re: 2m popular repeaters in Phoenix area besides Mt Ord
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 11:07:10 PM »
Depends on what part of town you are in... Shaw butte tends to have traffic. On the west side there is the white tanks, as well as the WVARC repeater (located somewhere in sun city I believe) that generally tend to have something.  On the east side there are some repeaters in mesa as well as the superstition arc repeaters.  Also if you are on the north west depending on your antenna you can pick up a couple in the Bradshaws (ie Prescott area) those almost always have traffic.  There is also a group around town that tends to camp on the FM simplex calling frequency 146.52.  There are plenty of others but those are the ones that tend to have traffic in my experience.  I do alot of scanning my memory channels while driving around town (I have something like 80 local repeaters in memory channels)

Both the WVARC (west valley arc) and the Mesa (not sure of the proper name of the club) repeaters have daily nets, there may be others.  There are a number of repeaters that host weekly nets as well.

Let me know if you want more details on any of these.

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 11:45:56 PM »
AD would know too.
The more I learn, the less I know.

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 01:13:44 AM »
I scann these sites on my HT http://k5ehx.net/repeaters/qrepeater.php

Put in you call sign.  And scan away. 
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

PLA

• Se Az / Extra/VE
    • The Quiet Survivalist
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 09:36:14 AM »
Ive talked to AD from my house in almost mexico on the Eaars repeater network

Good to program in your scan , and if you let me know we can schedule a comms check

Tevin

• Prepper
  • Rhymes with heaven.
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 09:46:26 AM »
Recently got on the air using the 2 m repeater at Mt Ord. I haven't found many other popular repeaters yet and wondered what others in the Phoenix area are using.

I can't speak to repeaters in your particular area, but repeaters in general tend to be busy at different times of the day.

Around here, we have one repeater that is busy for the morning commute but quiet the rest of the day. This same repeater tends to be a popular weekend spot too. There is another repeater that has a lunchtime net every day at noon. It is very lively and gets a surprising amount of check ins for being in the middle of the day. The reason why is because most of the regulars are old retired guys.

There is a repeater just a mile or two from my house that hardly anyone uses and I can easily hit with a handheld. Seriously...sometimes I scan it all day and hear only an ID. Myself and a few friends have informally made it our own private repeater! It can go for days and have no traffic other than us.

As you get more into ham radio, you will find out that repeaters are like bars. Each one has its own personality and vibe, with a core set of "regulars" who come by often. My advice is to not necessarily default to the nearest or most popular machine. Shop around, spend a few weeks getting a feel for the kind of crowd that gathers at each one and the times when traffic is heaviest.

Over time you will get something positive in all of them but find yourself gravitating towards one.

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 10:01:21 AM »
Ive talked to AD from my house in almost mexico on the Eaars repeater network

Good to program in your scan , and if you let me know we can schedule a comms check

Yep. I hit the Pinal Peak EAARS linked repeater which is like 85 miles away but 6-7000 feet higher than i am.

I have talked to guys over looking San Clemente Island on the Pacific coast on a linked system driving down the freeway in PHX
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!