Author Topic: Ham Test Online Offering discounts to us if we get enough people  (Read 14230 times)

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
Ham Test Online Offering discounts to us if we get enough people
« on: February 04, 2012, 06:20:20 PM »
www.hamtestonline.com is offer us a discount of 10% off if we get 10+ people and 20% off if we have 20+ people. 

All of us here think that you should study for both the Tech and General license at the same time and take the test at the same exam session.

This is how I did it using HAM Test Online.  I studies for a total of just under 30 hours and passed both Tech and Gen exams at the same test session and only missed 3 out of the 35 questions on each exam.  You can miss a total of 9 and still pass.

Another good thing about taking both test the same session is that it only cost $15 adn you can take all three Tech, Gen and Extra if you want and only pay the $15 testing fee.

The normal cost of the Tech and Gen at HTOL is ~$50.  The Tech is already discounted so we would get an additional fee reduction on the Gen.

TO make this happen, the Fees need to be paid at one time, so let me know if this is the way you want to go.

There are free sites where you can study too, so if money is tight and $50 is out of the question, there are other ways to do this.
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

Tex

• Good friends are hard to come by. Treat'em that way.
  • Need a horse?
    • Wyoming: where the men are men and the women are too
Re: Ham Test Online Offering discounts to us if we get enough people
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 07:52:09 PM »
I think that I would be interested in this AD. What about the free study sites though? They would be handy too, wouldnt they? Where can we get an actual.book to study for these tests? For myself, I know I would do netter if I had an actual book to study from.

Do you guys advise going and ahead and taking the test for all three tickets?

Tex
You big'uns line up, and you little'uns bunch up. It's about to get western.

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 07:55:19 PM »
You dont need the pay sight like HTOL, but in my opinion it was the best choice i made when studying for the exams.  There are more features that help keep track of your progress.  I will post screen shots of that tracking features some time next week. 

Tex

• Need a horse?
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 08:05:54 PM »
Am I understanding right, if we sign up for ham test online, we will get our study material through them online and then when we are ready we can take our test through them?

I have a few things to get done first, but I think.I will be ready to get started studying this week. But AD, you guys are the Elmer's, so let us know what y'all think please.

Tex

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 08:10:58 PM »
All the studying aside man. I've never seen a antenna mount for a horse.....  ;D
The more I learn, the less I know.

bigunn

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 08:35:15 PM »
Count me in just tell me where to send the money. have had them book marked for a while now . They let you do some practice questions. To see how its done and have references to.

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 08:55:59 PM »
Tex

You study through them, but test taking is done in person through a certified VE(volunteer examiner ) probably through your local ham club. 

Tex

• Need a horse?
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 10:45:17 PM »
Ok, that makes sense AD. I wasnt understanding where we took the test.

1911, they say you can run an anyenna up a tree for your radio. We have 7000 acres and only 6 really small trees on the whole ranch. I was planning on making some type of halo for my horse to act as an antenna.

Tex

AngeryAmerican

• New Site Member
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 11:16:29 PM »
AD, count me in. I havent regisitered on it yet, trying to finish another project first. Let me know when you hit the magic number and I'll do it.

Hamsexy

• Shepherd's Apprentice
  • Global Moderator
  • Extra class
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 11:25:32 PM »
All the studying aside man. I've never seen a antenna mount for a horse.....  ;D

Ya just gotta be *real* careful where you sink that ground rod. 

AGFF

• New Site Member
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 09:26:54 AM »
I could see being interested in this as well, but also would know the diffrence between the free resources available.  I tend to speed read fairly well - so I am open to options.  I'll keep an eye on this going foward.

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 09:38:54 AM »
Ok, that makes sense AD. I wasnt understanding where we took the test.

1911, they say you can run an anyenna up a tree for your radio. We have 7000 acres and only 6 really small trees on the whole ranch. I was planning on making some type of halo for my horse to act as an antenna.

Tex

Put a tower on the horses ass.. Go all out!!

When talking about tall most people mount their wire antennas about 30 feet high. You can always buy old military masts to get  30 feet as well.

Slick75

• New Site Member
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 10:51:02 AM »
Im also definitely interested but its not happening in the next 2-4 weeks, still feeling the sting of Christmas on top of a week and a half of work missed.

I go back to work in less than 2 weeks and I will be gone for 3 weeks. I should have a good bit of study time, just got to find me a book.

Which brings up another thought. I have a pretty advanced group of electronics technicians at work and they cover everything from radio and high-end satellite comms to working on the computer systems that run the rig. How can these people help? Anything in particular I could get some hands-on training with in my off time? An hour or 2 for 21 days or so would go along way in getting a better understanding of electronics. Ive tinkered with electronics off and on for years but nothing beyond trouble-shooting and repairing minor power problems or installing CBs and stereos in my trucks, usually going off the 'blind squirrel' concept.

BTW, Tex if you come up with a suitable rig for that horse let me know, I got 4 out there that I could finally put to some kind of use. ;D

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 10:57:31 AM »
Im also definitely interested but its not happening in the next 2-4 weeks, still feeling the sting of Christmas on top of a week and a half of work missed.

I go back to work in less than 2 weeks and I will be gone for 3 weeks. I should have a good bit of study time, just got to find me a book.

Which brings up another thought. I have a pretty advanced group of electronics technicians at work and they cover everything from radio and high-end satellite comms to working on the computer systems that run the rig. How can these people help? Anything in particular I could get some hands-on training with in my off time? An hour or 2 for 21 days or so would go along way in getting a better understanding of electronics. Ive tinkered with electronics off and on for years but nothing beyond trouble-shooting and repairing minor power problems or installing CBs and stereos in my trucks, usually going off the 'blind squirrel' concept.

BTW, Tex if you come up with a suitable rig for that horse let me know, I got 4 out there that I could finally put to some kind of use. ;D

I have a general book i can send you, if you promise to ship it to another person in this forum for use when done.

Deadstream

• New Site Member
  • KE8BHP
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2012, 11:40:09 AM »
I have a book by Gordon West that I bought about 10 years ago that covers the Technician class, I know some of the rules and regs may be outdated but the tech section should still be relevant wouldn't it?  I do want to take both the Tech and General at the same time. Do you still have to learn code or did the FCC drop that requirement?