Author Topic: Great topic on CME events from IEEE  (Read 10201 times)

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
Great topic on CME events from IEEE
« on: February 29, 2012, 01:33:06 PM »
Take a look at this review from IEEE magazine 2/2012

A Perfect Storm of Planetary Proportions
The approach of the solar maximum is an urgent reminder that power grids everywhere are more vulnerable than ever to geomagnetic effects
By JOHN KAPPENMAN  /  FEBRUARY 2012

http://spectrum.ieee.org/energy/the-smarter-grid/a-perfect-storm-of-planetary-proportions/0
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

spacecase0

• my spiritual forum
Re: Great topic on CME events from IEEE
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 02:52:06 PM »
this kind of a event is more likely this year,
maybe next year, and less likely after that till the next disruption in the sun cycle pattern
for some very neat info on the sun cycles
http://www.landscheidt.info/

as far as I see it this is one of the biggest issues in our world now,
people are way to dependent on outside things to live,
does every one here have a good water supply that does not need electricity ?

scubadivingjoe

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 02:56:36 PM »
Water supply that does not need power to bring it to me, nope.  I do have a friend that has a solar pump and a spring on his land, but that is 300 miles away from me. 

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 03:04:06 PM »
Space

The CME event of late January Is the reason this site got started.  One of our friends from another forum in NE Wyoming had their cell towers knocked put with a CME.  I posted on that other forum, that he should hace had a HF radio and he would not be with out comms.  I got flooded with PMs and emails  with people wanting to get into ham radio.  The rest as they say was history. H

He got hit on a Friday and by the next Saturday we were up and running.  I was really disappointed in the QRZ site when i started studying and only being allowed to post in the "Becoming a Ham" section and the elitist attitude.  It carried over with the prepper post over there by idiots asking just,who,were they going to talk to after the SHTF?

Well, many of us here talk(phone, and various digital modes) via HF on a weekly basis and have become friends in the process. I know where to find them on the bands and would trust them with any sensitive information about conditions in their area.

I have some water storage as well as living on a 53 acre lake. 

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 03:23:45 PM »
I have nothing good to say about qrz.com Nothing but a bunch of old ass elitist assholes.

Decent place to buy and sell gear, otherwise forget it.
The more I learn, the less I know.

spacecase0

• my spiritual forum
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 04:11:11 PM »
I found this site from qrz.com and have not been back again...

the water situation changed for me when I started thinking about spent fuel ponds and fallout after a CME or EMP,
lakes become useless in that case and the well pumps have no power...
so I started storing at least enough water to at least be able to have drinking water while I age out the iodine in the new stored water.

good to know that others are getting ready for the same thing I am.
where on HF do you hang out on ?
if I am on the air I am on 7195

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 04:30:43 PM »
My wife is sensitive to the switching power supply so i can only run when she is not home.  So Tuesday and wed evening and sunday around 1130 am AZ time. 

Have a HOA so i am running stealth end fed verts on 20 and 40.

PM me and we can set up a sked maybe this weekend.  The other folks are farther east and and sometime the BC stations get in the way of me connecting with all but one of them somewhere in texas. 

BTPost

• Old Fart Ham
  • Prepper
    • Bruce's Trading Post
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 04:50:12 PM »
There is a LOT of talk about CME and earth surface effects, of such, these days. One has to understand, that Class X flares are rare, but they do happen during Solar Maximums, like we are heading into for the next 18 months. The effects felt on earth, are for the most part, very selective, in that the ejected material needs to aimed, pretty much, straight at where the earth will be at in Three Days, after the event, and that angle is only about 2 degrees wide, as compared to the 360 degrees, of the Suns Rotation. The January Event was about 2 Degrees off, a Direct Hit, so there were very few effects other than some very pretty Aurora, for a few days. A lot of the CellPhone disruption Cases, were very iffy, as to the exact cause, and mostly blamed on the CME Event due to the timing, rather than hard evidence, of any REAL Causal Relationship. Planes still flew, NO Grids were knocked out, and a few Cellphones seemed to have been downed, but again, it was mostly assumed, by the timing of the events, rather than HARD Definitive Evidence. But it did make a GREAT Story, for the NASA Sun Watchers, to get more funding..... Just say'en... YMMV.....

Oh Yea, and AD, if Momma has issues with the Switching PS Noise, put a Group 12 Battery in the line between the PS and the Radio, and turn off the PS while Momma is home, and run off the charged battery, and then when she is NOT around, turn the PS back on and have the Internal regulator set for, say , 13.4 VDC. It will then recharge the Battery until it floats at 13.4Vdc, and then trickle charge it, from there until you turn it off when she gets home. The other possibility would be to use a Linear Regulated Power Supply, and do the same thing only you could leave it ON all the time, as it has no Switch Noise at all.  Just Say'en..... YMMV....
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 04:56:13 PM by BTPost »
Bruce in alaska AL7AQ

spacecase0

• my spiritual forum
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 05:21:08 PM »
sunday I will be out of town so I will be at an HF radio either at that location or in my car, I will PM you

a liner supply is a good idea, they are quite,
but a better idea is to use a solar panel with a charge regulator to recharge a deep cycle battery and just stop using the outlet for power at all.

BTPost

• Old Fart Ham
  • Prepper
    • Bruce's Trading Post
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 06:19:12 PM »
Only if the Charge Controller is a linear one, and NOT an MPPT type, which makes it a Switching Noise Maker..... Just say'en... YMMV....
Bruce in alaska AL7AQ

spacecase0

• my spiritual forum
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 11:29:56 AM »
good point about the charge controller,
I only buy the simple ones...