Author Topic: Are we doing a good job or not? What can we do better  (Read 22241 times)

PeterRabbit

• Static Master
  • Global Moderator
  • Extra Class
Re: Are we doing a good job or not? What can we do better
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 12:09:27 PM »
Hi Bryan.  Could be, but have you aver talked around the world on CB?  I think they're limited to something like 12 watts.  But you're right, he can speak for himself. 

Twiztedrods

• New Site Member
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 08:00:39 AM »
I will let him speak for himself, but he is likely talking about SSB on 11 meters (ie SSB on CB frequencies)...  essentially all the theory is the same, but no license required.

You are correct. And yes it is possible to shoot skip around the globe with the proper equipment and enough power backing you up. No license required. I was introduced to it back in 1975 in the golden age of the CB.

SteelRyder

• New Site Member
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 07:10:04 PM »
One thing you could do better is make it easier to post. I've never seen another forum that had "verification," and I've been on quite a few. What is the purpose? You shouldn't be able to post unless you're a member, right? Anyone that doesn't follow the rules can be banned. Why make everyone go through these extra steps?

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 08:20:27 PM »
One thing you could do better is make it easier to post. I've never seen another forum that had "verification," and I've been on quite a few. What is the purpose? You shouldn't be able to post unless you're a member, right? Anyone that doesn't follow the rules can be banned. Why make everyone go through these extra steps?

We get at least 10-20 Russian, Chinese and North Korean Scammers each week trying to get into the site to snatch email address and hack the site.   

If you like i will kindly fwd your email address to these guys  ;D

Before anyone gets on this site, we verify each and every IP address here.  This is an actual attempt at getting into our site from saturday   http://ip-address-lookup-v4.com/ip/91.207.4.150

Our good friends from the Ukarine.  See the list of site below the location and see that ip has been reported and blacklisted. 

So i hope this answers your question.  Maybe i should start posting all of these attempts ......NOT 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 08:22:40 PM by AD »
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

16bravolima

• Cool Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Extra Class/VE/CERT Team Leader
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 04:04:34 PM »
We get at least 10-20 Russian, Chinese and North Korean Scammers each week trying to get into the site to snatch email address and hack the site.   

Maybe i should start posting all of these attempts ......NOT

I concur, we have an estimated 10-20 "new member" requests every week.... 99% are scammers.
Lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine

bryanthegoon

• Extra Class and VE
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2012, 05:37:24 PM »

One thing to note is that once you get to a certain point it no longer requires "verification" for every post, it is only for the first x many posts.

spacecase0

• my spiritual forum
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2012, 01:03:36 PM »
my forum requires no verification for posting,
and it gets spam,
the verification for the first 10 or whatever it is really worth the lack of spam it gets you

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2012, 10:53:38 PM »

There are two verifications, one at time of sign in, and the second when new members post, that post one is only for the first 3 or 5 posts (i forget which but its one of them) and then it doesn't do it anymore. Again it's because of the amount of hack attempts we get. To be honest, if putting in 8-10 letters/numbers to make a post is that much of an issue to post the person probably wasn't that interested in the content here to begin with.
The more I learn, the less I know.

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2012, 10:55:22 PM »
Actually I just checked and it's the first two posts require verification after that there is none. I think thats pretty reasonable to keep the site free of junk spam.
The more I learn, the less I know.

Draugr

• New Site Member
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2012, 06:48:23 PM »
Just wanted to say great site. If I can make one suggestion I would add a beginner category or something similar, to the board. For people like me that literally know nothing about anything related to Ham Radio and are a bit overwhelmed. Maybe it would have some stickies with very basic info regarding all the jargon and how things work and what the different frequencies represent and just things that most users on here would consider trivial. If you do have something like that then my apologies.

Thank you for reading my reply and keep up the good work.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 06:52:03 PM by Draugr »

PeterRabbit

• Static Master
  • Global Moderator
  • Extra Class
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2012, 03:40:31 PM »
There are facets to amateur radio.  You can try this link (How to Use a Ham Radio : The Basics of Ham Radios) and he will take you through the gamut.  But I would recommend that you find a ham radio club in your local area.  You'll find tons of support and encouragement.  And, like this place, you'll find years of practical experience and excellent advice.  Also, hamtestonline (HTOL) has a "test drive" of sorts where you can start learning some of the theory before having to lay out any money.  The resources are definitely there if you want to learn.  Good luck!

Draugr

• New Site Member
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2012, 05:23:32 PM »
Thank you, I have been using HTOL for the past few days. Really like it and will probably subscribe. I found two radio clubs in my area, just need to contact them. Thank you for the advise.

highdesertham

• New Site Member
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2014, 03:04:21 AM »
Looking for SoCal contacts . Great idea to have this site.
Got tickets 3 months...looking for local hams.
I check once a week...more if reply.
Thx

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2014, 08:52:54 AM »
HDH

Welcome

Not in SoCal, but I travel there often.  Live in PHX area.
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

unseenone

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2014, 12:18:49 PM »
I know that the basis of the board is Ham related but a lot of folks have side band radios and equipment that is just as powerful as Ham equipment. With that said, a section for side banders might draw more people in.

With my equipment I can talk around the globe upper and lower side band and easily around North America on the low channels. I have talked to many truck drivers around the country that have similar equipment (albeit a lot smaller set up) installed in their rigs. Prepared comms is more what I am interested in, not just Ham per say.

Everything you suggest with regard to CB and enough equipment and power behind you is not legal. The advantage of HAM is you can have the power 50-100 watts out of the box, up to 1500 watts legally, as well as use of the appropriate frequencies. You won't find anyone on the board that is going to condone what you are implying here, quite the opposite in fact.

HAM is fun, study a little, get your license and have some fun.