Author Topic: CHIRP  (Read 14459 times)

TheToad

CHIRP
« on: June 21, 2014, 12:39:59 AM »
Has anyone used CHIRP software to program their HT? If so how was the experience and any tips you could throw my way... ?

spacecase0

• my spiritual forum
Re: CHIRP
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 12:46:07 AM »
it was easy,
the only thing that got me was the selection of the range of memories to read, I was not use to that being something you can set, and
the default (25 or 50 ?) was way smaller than the number I had wanted to read and edit from the radio,
once I figured that out everything was great,
I like the chirp software better than any factory software I have used

BillinNM

• Administrator
  • Too Many Hobbies, not enough time or money!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 11:42:57 AM »
I use CHIRP for my UV5Rs.  Once I got it to work, it works great, but I did have a heck of a time making it work the first time.  Every time I would plug in the programming cable, the HT would go into "Transmit" mode and stay there.  I wish that I could tell what I did to fix that, but I really don't know.
General class license since 1992, been inactive for about 10 years, just getting back into it, thanks to Going Home.   Edit...AE on 4/29/2012

spacecase0

• my spiritual forum
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 12:18:24 PM »
I use CHIRP for my UV5Rs.  Once I got it to work, it works great, but I did have a heck of a time making it work the first time.  Every time I would plug in the programming cable, the HT would go into "Transmit" mode and stay there.  I wish that I could tell what I did to fix that, but I really don't know.
to fix it, I think you plug in the programming cable when the radio is off, and then turn on the radio,
if you plug in the cable when the radio is already on, then it transmits because it thinks you are using an external mic. and are keying down

TheToad

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 11:20:03 PM »
Thanks. I am really new to all this and am finding things very confusing. I tried emailing the local club I just joined but most of the time they never answer. So I'm on my own. It's baby steps... I'm about to buy a Kenwood TM-281A to use as a base and use my HT outside and as a backup. Wish I was smarter. Funny, I have a tech license currently. I have studied and passed the practice General Exam tests and plan to test in November. But for all the studying there is nothing like hands on experience. That's why I am starting off with VHF/UHF to get my feet wet. The manual that came with my HT was confusing to me. I hope the Kenwood is a bit clearer. 

BillinNM

• Administrator
  • Too Many Hobbies, not enough time or money!
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 11:00:25 AM »
You're right Toad, hands on experience IS the only real way to know what's going on.  However, think back before you started studying for your tech ticket.  If someone started talking about a two meter radio, would you have had any clue what they were talking about?  I know I wouldn't have.  So just like back in school, they're really not teaching you a bunch, but they are giving you the ground floor basics so that you can move forward.  Getting the General opens up a whole new world.  Enjoy it!
General class license since 1992, been inactive for about 10 years, just getting back into it, thanks to Going Home.   Edit...AE on 4/29/2012

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 12:11:01 PM »
Toad

What radio do you have?
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

TheToad

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 01:55:27 PM »
At the moment I have a Baofeng UV-5R+. I am hoping to get a mobile dual band someday soon. Perhaps just a single band Kenwood TM-281A.. Still thinking about things.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 01:57:47 PM by TheToad »

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 02:35:32 PM »

TheToad

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 03:02:15 PM »
I give up. I've tried everything. It says my radio won't respond. So I printed off the TEN pages on how to manually program the damn thing. I'm getting frustrated.

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 03:09:49 PM »
I dont have one so cant be of much help.

There are a few yahoo groups on the radio as well
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/search?p=baofeng%20uv5r&fr=ush-groups

I have heard that some cables are problematic

I just ordered this cable
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HUB0ONK/ref=gno_cart_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AA3MGRC7F9EI2

And this radio
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IJIHLNE/ref=gno_cart_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AA3MGRC7F9EI2

There is also a new version out
http://baofengtech.com/bf-f8+
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 03:16:08 PM by AD »

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 03:50:46 PM »
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 04:09:45 PM by AD »

TheToad

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2014, 09:02:54 PM »
I "think" I have mine programed with CHIRP. The green light came on anyway. How can you tell? I programed in all of the repeater freq. I punched in 147.080 and it wouldn't stick. It went to 147.075 repeater which I cannot find a listing for in Arizona. Help???

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2014, 10:39:24 PM »
If your in the PHX area check your email. Mi sent you a tab delimited file you can import (i think) into Chirp and it has most all Phx area repeaters

TheToad

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2014, 10:42:34 PM »
It's all moot now anyway. I boxed up the little turd and it's going back to Amazon.. I've had it.