Author Topic: Methodology of studying - getting the most bang for your buck (time wise)  (Read 15102 times)

DSB

• Mr. Personality
  • Global Moderator
  • General Class
OK guys, I am going to describe how I studied for the Tech exam, because I have read a few people saying they tried and failed the exam, multiple times. Well that only says one thing. They were using a bad methods of prepping for the test.

First, I got my copy of the ARRL HAM Radio License Manual (Level 1, Technician) and a nice new wide tip highliter pen. These manuals are also available at your public library.

Then dedicate a min of 1 hour every night, RELIGIOUSLY!... if you try to read 1 hour one night, skip 3 days andput in another hour, you aren't going to retain. This has to be approached like attending a course in college. You better either be a genius or you better show up to lectures daily. It keeps you mind tuned to the subject.  As you read the manual, do not highlight anything until you reach your first "question block". I believe the first question block appears on page chapter 2-page 3, go to the rear of the manual and look up the questions. Highlite the correct answer. The correct answer is below the question number on the left side of the page and is in "()". Then go back to the text and located where the answer is stated in the chapter. Highlite the correct answer there also. What you are doing is constructing a manual for use in an "open book" test. No, the exams aren't open book, just bear with me.

After you have read and marked the manual as described above (you should be able to do this in about 10 days), it's time for saturation practise exams.

There are many sites offering practise exams. I used qrz.com, but you can use any of them. These computer driven test exams juggle the questions everytime you start, so you will get good overall knowledge of the entire pool of questions.
Then start taking the practise exams, depending on the site furnishing the practise exams, the question number will be displayed. Don't "guess" at an answer... look it up in your highlighted manual!!!!... then it's test after test after test every night and in 15-20 hours (min 1 hr/day, every day) of testing you will know that question pool backwards and forwards. This is how I prepped for my Tech exam. They aren't supposed to tell you your score, but they did in my case. I scored perfect, did not answer one question wrong.

Well, that's the way I studied. Another way is to have an excess of brain power and take both Tech and General exams simultaneously like AD did. But then I'm better looking, so I'll let him have the edge in brain matter.

Other guys have other methods, I'm sure, but this is what worked for me.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 03:39:59 PM by DSB »
DSB

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
Re: Methodology of studying - getting the most bang for your buck (time wise)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 09:30:17 AM »
I recommend QRZ to study as well thats where I did it. I like it because they do one question at a time, and don't let you move on until you select the right question.

I like to do it a little different, I work better under pressure so I found a test date 2-3 weeks out (heck for general I did 1 week) and that was it. It was all engines go. I read and studied and passed. Once you start scoring 90% or better on the practice exams every time.. You are good.
The more I learn, the less I know.

GDP

• Global Moderator
  • Extra Class
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 09:40:47 AM »
I used QRZ.com for my Extra Class study.  I just started taking the exam, and each time I found a question that I didn't know, I'd look it up and put the formula, description, circuit, or whatever in a Word document.  Using that document, I reviewed the topics I didn't know.  After about a month of study, the exam was fairly easy.
GDP

Tex

• Good friends are hard to come by. Treat'em that way.
  • Need a horse?
    • Wyoming: where the men are men and the women are too
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 03:35:01 PM »
DSB, did I understand  correctly thag we can get a HAM study manual at our local library?

If so, I will have to check in on that.

Thanks
Tex
You big'uns line up, and you little'uns bunch up. It's about to get western.

Rockntoy

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 04:33:28 PM »
Has anyone used the website; Hamtestonline before? Do not want to waste any money if I can get the same results elseware. I am a cheap person you know. Do not mind spending if it will help pass the test but I do want to learn about the radio's also as I go.
XTRA Ham
Follower of AA

Rockntoy

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 05:17:27 PM »
Ok, dumb question number 2 in a long series. Do you have to take the Technician licence test first before the General or can you just study for the General and only take it? This is my thought question on the methodology of brain draining .

Later, Jim
XTRA Ham
Follower of AA

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 05:35:58 PM »
Ok, dumb question number 2 in a long series. Do you have to take the Technician licence test first before the General or can you just study for the General and only take it? This is my thought question on the methodology of brain draining .

Later, Jim

Yes and yes..

A LOT of people recommend you take them both the same day, as there is a lot of crossover, but you can't skip tests.. But you can sit down, take the tech, general, and extra and walk out the door with your extra license same day.
The more I learn, the less I know.

Rockntoy

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 05:44:05 PM »
Thanks for the reply and now just one more thought question, are the same questions on the General study as on the Technician or are they two different study guides to use. Simply put can I just study the General and all questions be on both test?
 Thanks, Jim
XTRA Ham
Follower of AA

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 06:09:28 PM »
Rockntoy

I used HTOL and I think its great.  I am working on trying to get us discounts.  If we have 10 or more we get a 10% discount.  20+ 20% discount.  But we need to get them all at once.  I will post s new thread to see who is interested.
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

Slick75

• New Site Member
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 07:41:08 PM »
One little clarification. I just took the test for the second time on hamtestonline and it was the same 50 questions as the last time I took it, at least without a paid membership. It may shuffle them once I pay but I will have to wait a couple weeks to find that out.

On the bright side I only missed 2 out of the 50 this time. Maybe this wont be as bad as I thought.  :D

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 07:49:03 PM »
Without paying you only get 50 questions total.  What you see is not the test but 50 out of almost 400 study questions in the Tech pool. 

If your interested in buying a subscription on HTOL, hold off until we see if we can get 10+ people for the discount.  Post on the HTOL http://www.preparedham.com/forums/index.php?topic=51.0 if your interested.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 07:51:09 PM by AD »

DSB

• Mr. Personality
  • Global Moderator
  • General Class
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 01:35:11 AM »
DSB, did I understand  correctly thag we can get a HAM study manual at our local library?

If so, I will have to check in on that.

Thanks
Tex

Sorry it took my awhile to get back to you Tex, I spent the day away from the house. Here where I am, my local library has copies of the most recent manuals for Tech and for the General. If you local library has agreements with surrounding libraries, you should be able to check out these manuals.
DSB

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 06:25:25 AM »
The questions for both Tech and Gen are "similar" but not the same.  They both cover the same material, with the General being a little more in depth. 

asatrur

• KD0***
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 02:21:55 PM »
I started out using HTOL, but really like eham and QRZ the best. I started out reading the manual 2 weeks ago, but found it really hard to retain the information along, but using the book and the test sites really made it stick. I take my test on Thursday!
Good luck to all
Extra Class Ham Radio license
One is none and two is one!

DSB

• Mr. Personality
  • Global Moderator
  • General Class
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 03:05:00 PM »
I saw your scores. You'll be in and out in a few minutes. The questions will just fly by and then you'll say ... wait a minute, that was too easy, I know I screwed up somewhere  ::)... That's what I did. I spent about 5-10 minutes on the test and another 15 minutes going over because I was sure I screwed something up.
DSB