Author Topic: Passed Tech & General!  (Read 6474 times)

snoblind

• New Site Member
Passed Tech & General!
« on: August 11, 2012, 11:55:04 AM »
 ;D

Missed 2 on Tech & 3 on General.  Coordinator asked if I wanted to take Extra.  I thought, what the heck might as well (with zero prep).  Only 4 test takers.  I may have been the only who passed tests.

Any cockiness from passing 2 tests in one day was quickly erased.  Daayyuuum!  The extra was like I was in a different world.  I got 13 correct which simply means that if one guesses on every question of a 50 question exam probablity is you will guess 13 correctly.  But the VE's and VEC said taking it was the best start to preparing for it since I know what to expect.

Thanks, AD and everyone else for your encouragement and advice.

8)

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
Re: Passed Tech & General!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 01:18:28 PM »
Congrats.  I told you you would do well.  I am sitting in a CERT class in Chandler AZ, with John who owns HTOL.  I just showed him your post. 
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

PeterRabbit

• Static Master
  • Global Moderator
  • Extra Class
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 01:50:30 PM »
Congrats, Sno!  Glad you made it!  Feels good, doesn't it?  So now on to the Extra while you're all excited and motivated.

BTPost

• Old Fart Ham
  • Prepper
    • Bruce's Trading Post
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 04:43:42 PM »
Congrats, Snoblind.... Welcome to the Ham Fraternity....   Lrt us know when your Callsign hits the Internet.... and when you get on the air, on HF....
Bruce in alaska AL7AQ

SunwolfNC

• New Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 05:41:10 PM »
Congrats!

I took the hamonline testing but didn't realize that it was just a trial. I had thought the prep testing was complete :)
Is that test/site worth the $25 they're charging for the study tests?
What did you use to study?

scubadivingjoe

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 07:37:48 PM »
Congrats

gaglock

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 08:07:25 PM »
Congrats snoblind!

I'm taking the general and extra exams tomorrow.  That's if I pass the general test 8)

I'm very confident on the general test, used hamtestonline and their method really works.  Extra I'm not so confident about.  I've just done practice exams and am scoring 75-80. 

snoblind

• New Site Member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 09:34:13 PM »
Congrats!

I took the hamonline testing but didn't realize that it was just a trial. I had thought the prep testing was complete :)
Is that test/site worth the $25 they're charging for the study tests?
What did you use to study?

I think so - tests you can find elsewhere - it's the drilling on questions in the study mode that makes it worth it.  My only complaint about the method is the system decides you learned something you may not see it again unless it happens to come up randomly on a practice exam.  What I would add that program would be the ability to review all questions. 

The ARRL study guide comes with a disc that allows you to do that.  I didn't have that for the tech, but did for general.  I ended up working through every question last night for the general.  If I missed it I flagged it.  Then this morning I reviewed the flagged questions before the test.  My estimate is that I saw 10-15 of those flagged questions on my test.  No question, I will be ordering the study guide for the extra.

So Tech I used hamonline only, general study guide and hamonline.  I went ahead and did a subscription for all 3.   

snoblind

• New Site Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 09:58:46 PM »
Thanks, everyone.  I will go for extra in October, I'll need every bit of time to get prepared for my next go at that test. 

Good luck tomorrow, gag.  After today I certainly have an appreciation for anyone who achieves that level.

AD, CERT huh?  That's also on my radar, but a long way to go in getting my feet on the ground in radio.  All part of the plan.  To paraphrase a dude who spent his last days in the Tower of London (badly), reading AA's post apocalypse novels has a tendency to focus ones attention on what one needs to prepare for.