Author Topic: Do you have SPACE?  (Read 10728 times)

SigInt

• Amateur Extra
  • Ground Control 121
    • Can you find me now?
Do you have SPACE?
« on: March 18, 2012, 09:47:43 PM »

I have played with trying to communicate with SATs and with my enjoyment of Astronomy as a hobby I have tracked many with my Telescope. Many years ago when Mir was up there I was able to communicate with it. I have been keeping track of some of the efforts of the AMSAT group and followed ARISSAT-1.

This past week we had a member of the AMSAT group give an excellent presentation of the use and benefits of SAT based Space Comms. For a presentation that is very much the same check out the video below:

HamRadioNow Episode 2, Part 2 - AMSAT

Here is a link for an antenna for Space use and some information on how to communicate with SATs:

http://www.arrowantennas.com/arrowii/146-437.html

In a Non-EMP/CME environment SAT comms may be the most reliable manner of long distance comms especially using a small amount of power to get the job done. It is quick to set up and often is not as susceptible to time of day issues as HF is.

I plan to learn more and hopefully become proficient at it. I am betting that I can use my scope to help with tracking as I have already been successful at tracking them optically. I will probably have to get a weight set to offset the weight of the antenna.

Anyone here already do Sat comes or have the gear?

Books I highly recommend:

One Second After
Under the Dome
Earth Abides
The Road
The Stand

rah

• General Class Operator
Re: Do you have SPACE?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 10:16:18 PM »
Wow Sig, you're really into that.  I'm impressed.  Have made many contacts using sat?  Thanks for posting the information.

spacecase0

• my spiritual forum
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 12:03:08 AM »
I have that same arrow antenna,
I got it to talk to satellites, but never managed to do it,
I keep meaning to do it, but have not got around to it
they always seem to orbit by when I am at work or when it is late.

SigInt

• Amateur Extra
  • Ground Control 121
    • Can you find me now?
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 12:43:10 AM »
Wow Sig, you're really into that.  I'm impressed.  Have made many contacts using sat?  Thanks for posting the information.

Actually I have never used a SAT. I have listened to ISS and SAT COMMs but was never able to beat the pile up with my Discone antenna. The only reason I was able to hit the Mir was that it was DIRECTLY overhead one afternoon.

Here is a site that I helped setup concerning the ability to see the sky from Tucson.
http://tucsonskies.blogspot.com/

Heavens Above is a good resource for tracking SATs but there are much better apps that will control telescopes
http://www.heavens-above.com/amateursats.aspx
(You may have to register or use the links and info from Tucson Skies above. I recommend registering so you can set your own location)

You can use the site to SEE the ISS when it passes over.

Here is a photo I took of the ISS as it passed over at about 17.5K MPH around 300 miles away with my 8" Schmidt Cassegrain Scope

One Second After
Under the Dome
Earth Abides
The Road
The Stand

PLA

• Se Az / Extra/VE
    • The Quiet Survivalist
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 04:14:22 PM »
Hey, that is exactly the antenna I got saterday at the yard sale, it has a 10w duplexer in the handle too. $132 just for the stick, WOW I got a screamer on that deal.

If you would like to try it I say bring it on, always ready to help a local. I have what looks like a 440 beam for the same thing, and I found it on the same site for $48

I got 3 radios and a power supply for free this week.

SigInt

• Amateur Extra
  • Ground Control 121
    • Can you find me now?
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 09:16:26 PM »
You wanna sell the antenna? Trade an HT? :)

YOU GOT A HELLUVA DEAL!

One Second After
Under the Dome
Earth Abides
The Road
The Stand

PLA

• Se Az / Extra/VE
    • The Quiet Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 02:40:45 PM »
Sell?  No
Trade?  No

You want to borrow it and play with it? Let me know, next time I come to tucson Ill put it in the truck and you can have at it as long as you need it or get frustrated with it.

Conditions of temporary custody- once you figure it out, you have to teach me how:) Knowledge gained by 1 is my gain as well, and with work like its been ill never get time any where soon.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 02:44:21 PM by PLA »

SigInt

• Amateur Extra
  • Ground Control 121
    • Can you find me now?
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 03:33:10 AM »
I had one of those in my hands today and I was thinking if I could remember where my duplexer was and of course I have not seen it for 15 years. I am one of those that doesn't get rid of something unless someone needs it so I have it around somewhere,

I did buy the Satellite Handbook because it had bunches of homebrew SAT ants in it.

I think I spoke with you about the conversation I had with an AMSAT guy and he pretty much verified most of what I said earlier about reliability. The biggest issue is that each SAT has a different footprint and some sats you may find 3 times overhead before noon. He gave me his call and a link to some vids.

I am hoping that the counterweight kit for my scope does not cost an arm and a leg because I am running out of Arms and Legs.

It will be real cool if the scope can handle the Antenna setup.

A couple of years ago I was a beta tester for a Windows App that would track any SAT and as long as my initial setup was good I could see them in the spotting scope. I would imagine that RF is much more forgiving than optical so I could be off by a couple of degrees and probably get good tracking/reception.

Check out ho low in the horizon he is able to make contacts. He was telling me that it was because the ground was flat and he was slightly elevated on the side of the road.

XE2/WD9EWK on AO-51 from DM21jw - part 1 of 2

XE2/WD9EWK on AO-51 from DM21jw - part 2 of 2

Setting your HT or Mobile for Full Duplex and you will hear yourself if you are making it out if the other end of the SAT (Downlink) This is a SSB 2Meter contact I don't know the Mode for this sat but I will look it up for the next post.

This HAM, WD9EWK, Patrick, is a Scottsdale AZ resident.

Listen for him to tune his rig until he hears himself. When he does hear himself those within the footprint of the SAT hear him as well. You will hear him contact WA4NVM for an extended QSO for Sat contacts. WA4NVM is from TN. Not bad from PHX to TN.

WD9EWK working FO-29 on 22 January 2012 at 2043 UTC

Cool!

Hint, Hint...
Just think... If we had a club we could have some virtual meetings and we could invite some guests like WD9EWK via a USTREAM live video and chat. Those with EchoLink one would be able to as questions live via almost any PC/smartphone or RF if they have a node or a local repeater with thier own or node so they can reach the Club Node.

One Second After
Under the Dome
Earth Abides
The Road
The Stand

spacecase0

• my spiritual forum
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 10:59:12 AM »
I don't have a duplexer,
I was just going to use 2 radios, one for transmit and one for receive,