Radio > EmComm/Emergency Power

Best deal on solar storage batteries

(1/3) > >>

AD:
I am picking up parts for a emergency solar backup power system.  This will not be connected and running until I need it.

I found a great deal on these 295W 39V Mono panels for $200 so I picked up 4 of them as the base of my system.

I need to get a good MPPT charge controler and a 3000+ watt inverter as well as batteries.

So I am looking for suggestions on components.

I will build the system and run it to get some data then break it down amd store untill I need it.

This is not ideal but living in a HOA I am restricted in what I can deploy.

I have massive shade on my roof that would not allow the panels to get optimal exposure.

If I need to set it up, it would go on my deck by the lake which gets the best solar exposure. 

I have plans innthe future to buy a place in the mountains in a few years where this system will be moved to when that happens. But for now it will be set up
, tested and stores.

ghrit:
Batteries don't necessarily do well in storage, there IS maintenance required or they won't be there when you need them.  Suggest having a look at SurvivalMonkey "off grid living" forum.  There be some powerful knowledge there that might give you a better starting point.  There are some other good reasons for building the system NOW but only if you have a current use for it, like say NPTOA or other stuff of that type.

AD:
Ghrit

I want it to run 2 standard frig/freezers, some LED lights and a small window AC unit during the summer if we go grid down.

I really dont have a real world use for it now other than to pull some of the current units off grid amd run them.

AD:
This is the home   North at the top east to the right.

This sat image is probably 9 AM. You can see to open roof spaces but alos notice the shade from the big pine trees.

Early in the AM the top white roof is in sun but by early afternoon its in full shade from the tree at the top left side of the house.

ghrit:

--- Quote from: AD on September 26, 2017, 06:23:46 PM ---Ghrit

I want it to run 2 standard frig/freezers, some LED lights and a small window AC unit during the summer if we go grid down.

I really dont have a real world use for it now other than to pull some of the current units off grid amd run them.

--- End quote ---
First step is to sum up all the loads.  Makes no difference for the moment if they are on or off, read the name plates.  Second consideration is what the starting loads on the fridge/freezers are, you can start assuming 6x full load running amps.  Your best bet to know exactly what the sum of normal loads over time adds up to, is to get yourself a Killawatt meter and measure things up.  You need that data for sizing of your battery bank and your collector panels.  That a/c unit is a horrible load to estimate, and starting load is WAY higher than you will like.  I take you as knowledgeable of electricity, so if you are REALLY interested in starting draws, find a clampon ammeter and go play.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version