Author Topic: "new" old radio  (Read 4996 times)

Tempstar

• Extra, VE, SC Agency MARS, AUXCOMM, ARES/RACES
"new" old radio
« on: January 05, 2016, 05:19:03 AM »
I just did something most hams never get to do: I got back my first radio. I traded my TS-690s away years ago to a friend who wanted to give it to his Dad. Sadly his Dad recently passed and he wanted me to have it back. I hooked it up this weekend and checked into my regular 80 meter net. We laughed when net control told me I sounded a little fuller and "what kind of Kenwood are you running tonight?".
 The TS-690s is a 160-6 meter with a built in 6-1 tuner, a few built in filters and the option for a few more, and pretty incredible receive capabilities. I loved this radio when I first started out, but fell for the allure of something better and started an expensive journey through Yaesu, Icom, and Elekraft, before finally coming home to a TS-480SAT and a TS-2000. Now my trusty 690 will get a place at work where I can listen during the day and maybe sneak in a little rag chew.
"Preparedness is a lot more than just buying stuff"

Quiet1

• Hurricane Surfer
  • Prepper
  • Is somebody tuning up, or just my tinnitus again?
Re: "new" old radio
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 06:15:58 AM »
The TS-690s is a 160-6 meter with a built in 6-1 tuner,
Now that sounds handy.  A little 3:1 internal tuner is nice for touching up antennas that aren't exactly perfect, but it's sometimes not enough.

The sheer damn usability of those old Kenwoods astounds me.  Front panel power control, what a concept!  Congratulations on finding an old friend.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 06:19:26 AM by Quiet1 »
North of the salt, south of I-10.

spacecase0

• my spiritual forum
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 02:03:45 PM »
your story reminds me of what happens when I get my first HF radio out of my EMP proof storage,
it is an alinco dx77t
as long as there is no electrical noise around it is the best sounding radio I own, and it is so very easy to use
if the grid ever does go down I will not need the fancy filters in the new radios, and I am switching back to that radio

Tevin

• Prepper
  • Rhymes with heaven.
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 05:25:21 PM »
My first radio was a Heathkit SB-102 and I know it has long gone to radio heaven.

I have a Drake TR4C that was my high school buddy's first radio. I don't know how I ended up with it, but when I got a random call from him over the summer (after losing touch for decades), he was astonished that his Drake was still around and in good working order. I never used it and kept it stored in a safe place this whole time. He did not remember giving it to me and assumed it was junked.

That radio was a birthday gift from his dad, who died a long time ago. As you can guess, he wants it back pretty bad.

I have to tighten some screws on it and find a shipping box, but I promised him he would get his Drake back.

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 01:13:22 PM »
Thats cool that you still have it.  Is he still licensed?
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

Tevin

• Prepper
  • Rhymes with heaven.
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 06:06:33 PM »
Thats cool that you still have it.  Is he still licensed?

He's no longer licensed but is interested in picking it up again.

Back in the day he was a CW demon. Oh my God he could zip along at 35+ WPM. The old dudes were annoyed that a fifteen year old was royally beating all their asses :o