Author Topic: Trying a shot at raising revenue to help pay for hosting and domain fees  (Read 8780 times)

AD

• Administrator
  • Extra Class Ham Radio Op / VE, CERT
You may have noticed that there are a few simple Adchoice banners. If you click on these they take you to a the advertiser and we get a few cents.

I click on one tonight about a software defined radio project
http://nuand.com/?gclid=COXhgfLclrUCFYl7QgodAAYA_A try clicking on this to see if we get credit if you cant find the adchoice ad

you can help fund here
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1085541682/bladerf-usb-30-software-defined-radio

If you see the AdChoice banner for this project, click on it and follow the links.  This is a pretty kewl radio considering a Flex radio cost around $1500.

So click away and help us pay for the site.  Check out the radio. For donating as little as $400, you can get one of the first radios.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 09:55:14 PM by AD »
The only dumb question is the one that did not get asked!!

AD

• Administrator
Re: Trying a shot at raising revenue to help pay for hosting and domain fees
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 10:13:25 AM »
As a matter of fact i just got the new bill for the next round of hosting and this does not include keeping the rights to domain name. 

« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 10:18:17 AM by AD »

Tempstar

• Extra, VE, SC Agency MARS, AUXCOMM, ARES/RACES
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 04:33:20 AM »
This is a great site without a bunch of spam and idiots. Add a paypal donate link! I'm in!
"Preparedness is a lot more than just buying stuff"

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 07:23:00 AM »
Thanks for the vote of confidence Tempstar. We are trying to find a way to add value.   If we can get the site paid for then we can then look at contests and maybe some giveaways.   If you have any suggestions for getting more activity going here, please pass it along.  We have a ton of folks coming here but hardly anyone posts.

Tempstar

• Extra, VE, SC Agency MARS, AUXCOMM, ARES/RACES
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 08:02:48 PM »
You know, I don't even remember how I found this site, but I'm glad I did. Maybe we need to get the word out to more of the prepper forums. Generating more in the for sale section would also be a great thing, IMHO.
"Preparedness is a lot more than just buying stuff"

XJP5

• Global Moderator
  • Extra Class Operator
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 01:04:16 PM »
Thanks for the vote of confidence Tempstar. We are trying to find a way to add value.   If we can get the site paid for then we can then look at contests and maybe some giveaways.   If you have any suggestions for getting more activity going here, please pass it along.  We have a ton of folks coming here but hardly anyone posts.

With regard to increased traffic, maybe some small banner exchanges with carefully targeted prepping-related companies. That may increase traffic and participation. It may also increase traffic to the sponsor's sites.

If we can increase the amount of licensed amateur traffic, it will hopefully attract the sponsors, and ultimately improve the amount of technical and product-related content. At least in theory.  ;)

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 01:27:03 PM »
With regard to increased traffic, maybe some small banner exchanges with carefully targeted prepping-related companies. That may increase traffic and participation. It may also increase traffic to the sponsor's sites.

If we can increase the amount of licensed amateur traffic, it will hopefully attract the sponsors, and ultimately improve the amount of technical and product-related content. At least in theory.  ;)

Idail is looking into trying to do that here.  There may be limitations with the forum software package.

It looks easier on the www.preparedham.com landing page than it does in the forums. 

W.Lynn

• CDT
  • Trouble-making grandma
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 10:39:25 AM »
Has anyone approached some of the merchants at other locations, and invited them to post here?  Businesses tend to support the places that support them.

Granted, I pay the no-advertising rate over at SB, but I also browse the merchants' sites, ask questions, and buy from them.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 10:41:58 AM by W.Lynn »

bryanthegoon

• Extra Class and VE
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 08:05:00 PM »
is there any way to make these pop up in new windows?
on Chrome at least it is loading in the current window so I have to go back to this site (really annoying if I am in a thread and click on an ad that comes up.

Also not sure if this is a chrome thing or not but on the initial root page the ad shows up over some of the other text on the page.

AD

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 08:18:32 PM »
on Chrome at least it is loading in the current window so I have to go back to this site (really annoying if I am in a thread and click on an ad that comes up.

Also not sure if this is a chrome thing or not but on the initial root page the ad shows up over some of the other text on the page.

Idial is the expert on this. 

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 09:13:13 PM »

On chrome right click the link and select either open in new tab, or open in new window whichever you prefer.

The entire front page needs to be re-done really... We need to re-do it, and actually use it as a blog..
The more I learn, the less I know.