Author Topic: Building the Elecraft k3 Transceiver  (Read 18115 times)

jsr5

Re: Building the Elecraft k3 Transceiver
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 08:47:12 PM »
Any suggestions on some places to look and see what kind of kits are available? I think I might be smart enough to get one together as long as the instructions are in english, not chinglish. would love to see some kind of all mode HF uhf vhf kit especially one without a case and all so I can use the little bit of an ifea that is starting to form it'self in my little pea. If It would save me alot of dollars I could afford to invest the time. I have very little of one and too much of the other. a 12 hour kit would likely take me several weeks as I can't sit up to a work table more than a hour or so at a time and my manual dexterity erodes very fast when trying to run a screw driver or do little fiddly work but I can make a good place to lay it all out and hit it two or three one hour sessions a day. still need to get some equipt ment but was gonna get a better multimeter anyway and someone was telling me the SWR meter was gonna be a must if I was gonna build antennas so not really anything I wasn't gonna get anyway. Definitely would seem to open up some possibilities for me. Found youkits they get close to what I'm looking for but not quite.

Hmmm yes please please please tell me wher you all reccomend getting kits at. even if I dont get it together I would always have the backup in kit form should I need it.

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2012, 02:04:04 PM »
Elecraft has some smaller kits.. I know Ten Tec does too. You can google QRP kits and turn up a good many of them, but I am not to into the QRP stuff so i am not sure what is good or not in that genre.
The more I learn, the less I know.

ghrit

• Prepper
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 04:08:30 PM »
idial1911
OK, then. 
-It's been some time since you've completed the build, so how has it satisfied you so far?
-Last kit I built was a Heathkit VTVM (a long time ago.)  Is that level of skill enough, or do I need more practice on something less challenging?  (Then again, you might not be old enough.  Think vacuum tube socket soldering.)
-What "extras" would you have put in at the time if you knew you wanted them?  (Filters, for example.)
-What tools does one need other than basic soldering irons and run of the mill twisty, smashy, breaky things found in the usual DIY home mechanic/carpenter's tool box?  (i.e., how important is the anti static mat?)

What's going on chez moi is budgeting for next year.  On top of the transceiver (which may come from elsewhere in the short haul) I know I'm going to need an external tuner, power supply and antenna, but have made no decisions. Anything else I need to budget for that you can think of?  Hey, I'm brand new at this, and really don't have a clue.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 02:10:37 PM by ghrit »
There are two kinds of ships.  Submarines and targets.
KB3ZMF        FN21dy
Amateur Extra Class,  VE
www.survivalmonkey.com

idial1911

• Administrator
  • Extra Class and VE
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 09:23:46 PM »
idial1911
OK, then. 
-It's been some time since you've completed the build, so how has it satisfied you so far?
-Last kit I built was a Heathkit VOM (a long time ago.)  Is that level of skill enough, or do I need more practice on something less challenging?  (Then again, you might not be old enough.  Think vacuum tube socket soldering.)
-What "extras" would you have put in at the time if you knew you wanted them?  (Filters, for example.)
-What tools does one need other than basic soldering irons and run of the mill twisty, smashy, breaky things found in the usual DIY home mechanic/carpenter's tool box?  (i.e., how important is the anti static mat?)

What's going on chez moi is budgeting for next year.  On top of the transceiver (which may come from elsewhere in the short haul) I know I'm going to need an external tuner, power supply and antenna, but have made no decisions. Anything else I need to budget for that you can think of?  Hey, I'm brand new at this, and really don't have a clue.

I love the unit still.. It's very user friendly and easy to use.

You could build this kit, anyone could.. It's not that hard.

I got the stock filters, and still do.. Don't feel like i need to ad any. Happy with the performance.

Anderson power pole crimpers are the old special tool i'd recommend.

What you listed will serve you to start. Don't get fancy, get a decent power unit, get a g5rv, and a good solid rig and just get on the air.. then next year maybe add battery backup, look at upgrading the antenna.. Don't bite off to much to start..
The more I learn, the less I know.

ghrit

• Prepper
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2012, 02:09:25 PM »
I love the unit still.. It's very user friendly and easy to use.

You could build this kit, anyone could.. It's not that hard.

I got the stock filters, and still do.. Don't feel like i need to ad any. Happy with the performance.

Anderson power pole crimpers are the old special tool i'd recommend.

What you listed will serve you to start. Don't get fancy, get a decent power unit, get a g5rv, and a good solid rig and just get on the air.. then next year maybe add battery backup, look at upgrading the antenna.. Don't bite off to much to start..
Thanks for all that.  The bite is going to be heavily influenced by cash flow (obviously, I guess.)  Among other things, gotta see what zero and boner do, then get into heavier planning around a 10, 20, and 40 meter setup.  Wire is cheap, it's the rest that will get a heavier influence.
There are two kinds of ships.  Submarines and targets.
KB3ZMF        FN21dy
Amateur Extra Class,  VE
www.survivalmonkey.com